Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SS3 - LeftAndMain, advanced forms documentation or examples?

Go to End

gshegosh81

Community Member, 10 Posts

10 August 2012 at 6:45am

LeftAndMain seems to be changed comparing to 2.4 (_left and _right templates are replaced with other suffixes, etc.) and there's no doc page for it for 3.0 that I could find. I'd also be interested in advanced usage of custom forms in the admin panel -- by "advanced" I mean stuff like extending LeftAndMain an using a Form instead of just using ModelAdmin that isn't very customizable.

I would love to understand how it all goes from request to form to POST to DB saving to confirmation to reloading AJAX parts of the GUI. It's all just trial and error and analyzing CMSMain and similar code which isn't the simplest thing to do since PHP has so much "magic" stuff that seems to be used. Ctrl-click in my IDE seems unhelpful anyway.

Does anyone use SilverStripe as something more than a CMS with a kick, or is it unusual for me to try to add more advanced forms in the admin panel and to take control of it? Are there any docs for people like me?