Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] Function in Controller Vs Data object

Go to End

3 Posts   1025 Views

KungK

Community Member, 14 Posts

10 August 2012 at 9:06pm

I'm running through the 3.0 tutorials (http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/tutorials/2-extending-a-basic-site). I'm supposed to create a function in the HomePage.php controller called LatestNews. According to the tutorial the rule of thumb is the following:

"The controller for a page is only created when page is actually visited, while the data object is available when the page is referenced in other pages, e.g. by page controls. A good rule of thumb is to put all functions specific to the page currently being viewed in the controller; only if a function needs to be used in another page should you put it in the data object."

My problem is that when I put the function in the controller it is exposed for everyone at the url http://localhost/home/LatestNews and I get an error when navigating to it. When I put it in the data object it's not exposed and I get a page not found.

I've tried with private and protected without any success. Is there anyway to not expose a controller method but still use it in the templates?

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

10 August 2012 at 10:44pm

You can define the methods callable from a URL by having a static $allowed_actions array in your controller that lists them all. If you have no methods you want callable, you can use static $allowed_actions = array('index');

It appears that $allowed_actions is only mentioned in changelogs, rather than actually being documented anywhere.

KungK

Community Member, 14 Posts

10 August 2012 at 10:48pm

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot!