Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

If statement in getCMSFields

5 Posts   639 Views

Stef87

Community Member, 66 Posts

1 September 2012 at 2:25am

I apologise if this is really obvious and a stupid question but I'm a little stumped. I'm trying to add a field that is only visible on one page so I am using an if statement in the getCMSFields function of my page.

My question is is this even possible? Will it be called, etc? The reason I ask is that my if statement doesn't work unless I change getCMSFields to getCMSFields_forPopup which causes a whole new set of problems.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm using SilverStripe 2.4.7.

if ($this->ClassName == 'Movies') {

$movies= DataObject::get('Movie');

if (! empty($stores)) {

$map = $movies->toDropdownMap('ID', 'Name');

$checkBox = new CheckboxSetField(
               $name = "Moviess",
               $title = "Select Movies",
               $source = $map
            );

$fieldset->push($checkBox);
         }
      }

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

2 September 2012 at 2:03pm

You should be able to use an if perfectly fine. Though it would be better design to move the functionality to your Movies.php class.

<?php

class Movies extends Page {

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$movies= DataObject::get('Movie');

if (! empty($movies)) {
$map = $movies->toDropdownMap('ID', 'Name');
$fieldset->push(new CheckboxSetField( "Movies", "Select Movies", $map));
}

return $fields;
}

Stef87

3 September 2012 at 9:44pm

Edited: 03/09/2012 9:45pm

Thanks for your reply willr. I am using a Dataobject with a dataobjectmanager in movies. Can I still use this method? I'm relatively new to SilverStripe so my knowledge is limited but I can't see how it'll work that way.

I'm using 2.4.7, I just realised I never specified that earlier.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

4 September 2012 at 5:54pm

You should be able to use the same setup whether you have dataobjects or pages. Though getCMSFields may be getCMSFields_forPopup if you're using the popup to edit content.

Stef87

6 September 2012 at 8:13pm

Edited: 06/09/2012 8:39pm

Ok that makes sense. Thank you. It's still not working exactly as I want it to but I have a better understanding of what is going on. I think my confusion lies with DataObjectManager though as it creates the popup for editing the data and is created within getCMSFields of Movies. If I understand correctly then I need to use getCMSFields_ForPopup in Movies instead?