Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Email Template Variable Scoping

4 Posts   406 Views

cwchong

Community Member, 13 Posts

15 September 2012 at 8:54am

Hi, have a question pertaining to the variable scope for email templates:

$mydo = new MyDataObject(); // assume prepopulated; contained a data field named "Subject" accessed by $mydo->Subject
$From = "sender@email.com";
$To = "receiver@email.com";
$Subject = "My Email Subject";
$email = new Email($From, $To, $Subject);
$email->setTemplate('TemplateEmail');
$email->populateTemplate($mydo);
$email->send();

The part that I am having issues with is the dataobject's field and the declared variable "$Subject"
In my "TemplateEmail", when I tried to access "$Subject", it should be rightfully accessing the value stored in $mydo->Subject, but what I am experiencing atm is the value stored as "My Email Subject" being printed in the template instead;
The code in the template for accessing the data is simply

$Subject.XML

Am I missing anything?

cwchong

15 September 2012 at 9:09am

I guess $Subject is a reserved variable for the email template to reference the actual email subject, regardless whether the variable is passed into the template.

Not sure if there's a way to override that, but I just changed the variable in my dataobject so that it doesn't name clash.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

15 September 2012 at 11:39am

I'm picking Email::getSubject() will override your Subject value on your model. A work around would be to define a getter on your DataObject

function getEmailSubject() {
return $this->dbObject('Subject');
}

Then use $EmailSubject so it won't clash.

cwchong

15 September 2012 at 11:53am

Yeah, got it Will, tks for the advise.