Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Tutorial one - Page type Home Page not showing up in the dropdown box

5 Posts   931 Views

WillJonMax

Community Member, 4 Posts

17 September 2012 at 8:42pm

Edited: 17/09/2012 9:01pm

Despite trying out various solutions from the forum posts, I didn't have any luck.

My problem is, from tutorial one, I couldn't seem to create the page type, from HomePage.php, to appear in the Page Type dropdown, after rebuilding using this url http://localhost:8888/SilverStripe/mysite/dev/build?flush=all

I am using SilverStripe 3.0.1 and I installed it on my MacBook Pro's local machine. The php file, HomePage.php, is stored in this directory -> MAMP/htdocs/SilverStripe/mysite/code

At present, there are two files in this directory, HomePage.php and Page.php

The code in HomePage.php is this

<?php
class HomePage extends Page {}
class HomePage_Controller extends Page_Controller {}

My questions:-

1. Should there be a PHP closing tag ?> in this file? e.g. <?php ...... ?>
2. Every time, I rebuilt it I get a login page which says I must be an adminstrator to continue the rebuild. That's even when I am already logged in!
3. What should the correct url be in my case for rebuilding ? I guess it's http://localhost:8888/Silverstripe/mysite/dev/build?flush=1
Is 'mysite' correct?

What have I done wrong? I apprecicate any help from you

Thanks

Will

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1132 Posts

17 September 2012 at 10:57pm

Hi WillJonMax, welcome to the forums,

First: your homepage code looks fine to me. But if dev/build/?flush=1 (all) doesn't work, then HomePage will never be added to the database, and it won't appear in the dropdown, so that's understandable.

@1: no closing php tag needed
@2: that shoudn't happen - unless you're logged in as someone that's not an administrator. Are you redirected to the login screen, or do you get some other message/error?
@3: in the URL you should add dev/build/?flush=1 to the root URL of your website. So if your site URL is localhost:8888/ then it would be localhost:8888/dev/build?flush=1. If I add an extra mysite/ to my URL, I get a 'page not found'...

Some other things you could check:

Do you have the same problem on a fresh SilverStripe install?
Do you have the same problem using another browser?
Do you have a default MAMP install or did you change any (php) settings?
Do the MAMP error logs show anything weird? Find them in application/MAMP/logs (I guess)

Martine

WillJonMax

17 September 2012 at 11:23pm

Thank you for your swift response.

@1 Ok thanks - just to be sure there!

@2 & @3 Yes, I got re-directed to a login page. It might be that I incorrectly put dev/build/?flush=1 I try do that at the root of my website.

- The SilverStripe install was smooth - no problems.

- As SliverStripe recommended using FireFox, I having been using this since then...

- I am sure I did the default MAMP install - no fiddling with php files...

- No errors in the log - everything resuming as normal..

WillJonMax

17 September 2012 at 11:58pm

I tried re-build it using this url localhost:8888/dev/build?flush=1 but came up with an error - "The requested URL /dev/build was not found on this server."

Any ideas why?

WillJonMax

18 September 2012 at 12:39am

I finally got it working now!

It's actually http://localhost:8888/SilverStripe/dev/build?flush=1 that did the build. SilverStripe is where I renamed from 'SilverStripe_3_0_1" (similar like that....)

The HomePage.php is in this directory

MAMP/htdocs/SilverStripe/mysite/code

Thanks!