Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

how to use ConfirmedPasswordField

3 Posts   573 Views

Optic Blaze

Community Member, 165 Posts

18 September 2012 at 9:40am

Hi there,

I am trying to use ConfirmedPasswordField in a registration page. I have managed to get it to work, but now i want to impose some additional validation on the object eg set the min number of charachters to 8, enforce both numbers and letters be used etc.

I am trying to use it as follows, but it does not work:

class RegisterPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

function Form() {
$member = new Member();
$fields = $member->getMemberFormFields();

$actions = new FieldSet(
         new FormAction('register', 'Register')
      );

$password = new ConfirmedPasswordField ('Password', 'Password'); // this works
      $password->setCanBeEmpty('false'); //this works
$password->setMinLenth('8'); // gives errors
$password->setMaxLenth('16'); // gives errors
$password->characterStrength(2, array('lowercase', 'uppercase', 'digits', 'punctuation'));

$fields->insertAfter($password, "Email");

$validator = new RequiredFields('FirstName','Surname','Email','Password');   

$form = new Form($this, 'Form', $fields, $actions, $validator);

return $form;
}

Please help, Thanx

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

18 September 2012 at 11:43pm

These will help...
http://api.silverstripe.org/trunk/framework/security/PasswordValidator.html
http://www.ssbits.com/snippets/2010/using-a-password-validator/

Optic Blaze

Community Member, 165 Posts

19 September 2012 at 1:06am

Ok thanks, i had tried those tutorials, but when i tested the validator it seemed asif it was not working. The problem was that error reporting was not on.

Now i see the following error:

"[User Error] Uncaught ValidationException: Validation error writing a Member object: Password is too short, it must be 7 or more characters long.; You need to increase the strength of your passwords by adding some of the following characters: uppercase, digits, punctuation. Object not written."

Ok so it is working, but it is throwing out an exception that might freak a normal user out.

How do i get it to to display an error message on the page..i.e a template that explains the error to the user as apposed to an exception that looks like the webiste is not working?

Thanks

Attached Files