Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

[solved] Multiple related pages

3 Posts   474 Views

theade

Community Member, 10 Posts

25 September 2012 at 5:20pm

Hey. I'm looking for a quick pointer. I want a carousel of images on the front page of a site that could contain X items - an image, text link and url for each item. I want the user to be able to customise how many items and add the content for each, from a tab on the front page.

So at the moment I have a hardwired amount of items in the HomePage class:

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Carousel', new TextField('TitleOne','1. Title'));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Carousel", new TextField('HoverTextOne', '1. Hover Text'));
      $fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Carousel', new TreeDropdownField("LinkOneID", "1. Link","SiteTree"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Carousel", new ImageField('ImageOne', '1. Carousel Image'));

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Carousel', new TextField('TitleTwo','2. Title'));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Carousel", new TextField('HoverTextTwo', '2. Hover Text'));
      $fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Carousel', new TreeDropdownField("LinkTwoID", "2. Link","SiteTree"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Carousel", new ImageField('ImageTwo', '2. Carousel Image'));

... etc

This works OK, but it's ugly and limiting. The ideal solution would be an "add another" button, and a remove button. But I've no idea where to start. Am I missing something fundamental like a nice module or something?

Thanks

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

25 September 2012 at 10:57pm

Hi theade,
What I would do is create a new DataObject class for the image, url and other properties, then use either a ComplexTableField or DataObjecManager (ss version 2.4) or a GridField (ss version 3.0) on your homepage to add/edit your image objects. This way you can dynamically add as many object as you like.

theade

Community Member, 10 Posts

26 September 2012 at 11:50am

Spot on. Thanks for your help. Muchly appreciated.