Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

CMS or Frontend for content management

Go to End

4 Posts   1926 Views

Dr. J

Community Member, 8 Posts

21 October 2012 at 7:13pm

Silverstripers

Notwithstanding extensions like Userforms and Generic Views, SS feels like it is designed to only support content management from the backend CMS UI rather than from the front-end like some other CMSs. Should I entirely avoid creating front end CRUD forms for users to manage their content? If not what is the natural limit for front end activity given the use cases SS was designed to address.

For context, a site I am developing for a client is effectively a brochure site but with one interactive page - a front end form and list for managing a collection of data objects. The motivation for putting the form on the front end was that I didn't want to have to train them how to use the back end for that single form and I didn't know how to hide their view of the pages they didn't have to worry about.

The apparent difficulty in creating this master-detail CRUD page 'out of the box' makes me wonder if I am forcing SS/Sapphire do something it doesn't naturally do.

Thanks

Johan

Community Member, 49 Posts

27 October 2012 at 5:15am

Edited: 27/10/2012 5:17am

Our developers seems to be happy in allowing users to login and interact with the website on the front end. One site we built a custom social media interface and the other to manage and view wage slips.

Mindfusion

Community Member, 7 Posts

4 May 2013 at 3:39am

it does seem rather difficult to find examples of frontend crud. Generic views doesn't quite work for me and was so happy reading about the Gridfield in SS3 until i discovered it doesn't work in the frontend. Still tearing my hair out trying to find a solution

wmk

Community Member, 87 Posts

30 July 2013 at 3:13am

Same here, just trying to manage some kind of "manage Profile" with some DataObjects and Relations and don't want to hardcode everything.

Have you found a solution for your problem?