Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Passing an array

7 Posts   612 Views

Stef87

Community Member, 66 Posts

26 October 2012 at 12:43am

SilverStripe 2.4.7

Hi

I've managed to confuse myself utterly so I hope I make sense.

Basically I was following this [url=http://www.silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/8335?start=8]approach[/url] and that went fine for the most part.

My problem is that I need to pass the value of $output to the QRData variable so I can output it in a template but since it's an array I'm having trouble. I'm sure it's something obvious but I've spent hours trying to figure it out.

Here's my code

protected $QRData = false;

public function retrieveQR() {

$var = Director::urlParam('ID');

if(preg_match('/[0-9]+/', $var)){

$sqlQuery = new SQLQuery();
         $sqlQuery->select = array(
            'QRCode AS offerCode',
            'QRCodeImage AS QR'
         );
         $sqlQuery->from = array("QRCode");

$sqlQuery->where = array("OfferID = '" . $var . "'" AND "Status = 0");

$rawSQL = $sqlQuery->sql();
         $result = $sqlQuery->execute();

$output = array($result->first());

Debug::Show($output);

$QR = $output;

$this->QRData = $QR;

return array();
      }
      else{ return $this->httpError(404, 'Not a valid ID');}
   }

public function getQRData() {
      return $this->QRData;
   }

therussdotcom

Community Member, 2 Posts

26 October 2012 at 8:02am

Hi there,

It would be useful to what Debug::show outputs, as well as the output from the getQRData() method. However, at first glance it looks like you're trying to push a standard PHP array into a .ss template which wont work. You need to wrap it in a ViewableData construct first.

Assuming you simply call $QRData or <% control QRData %> in your .ss template, try the following:

public function getQRData() {
return new ArrayData($this->QRData);
}

Good luck
Russ

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

26 October 2012 at 8:13am

Edited: 26/10/2012 8:15am

For use with templates, in ss2.4 you need DataObjects and DataObjectSets. To change your one record into a ViewableData object, do something like:

$row = $result->first();
$this->QRData = new ArrayData($row);

EDIT - I was slow :)

Stef87

26 October 2012 at 8:36pm

Wow thanks. That was it.

So just to clarify, am I correct in thinking that all data used in templates has to be in ViewableData format then? So a DataObject or DataObjectSet? Does this change in SS 3 or does it stay the same?

martimiz

27 October 2012 at 4:54am

>> So just to clarify, am I correct in thinking that all data used in templates has to be
>> in ViewableData format then? So a DataObject or DataObjectSet?

Noooo, sorry if we gave you that impression, that would make things very hard! You can pass 'single' values like strings, integers, booleans, ...

Have a look at the docs here for SS3.0 (and take the link on top left for versions 2.4): http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/reference/templates

It's just that if you want to pass a collection of data to the template, like you tried to do with an array, it should be in the form of a DataObject or a DataObjectSet (DataList in SS3.0) instead.

Martine

Stef87

27 October 2012 at 6:41am

Thank you so much for your help. I have one more, unrelated question.

How does SilverStripe create and store IDs for images? I have added images in using a mySQL insert into but I need to query them by ID. How would I do this?

martimiz

28 October 2012 at 7:02am

Silverstripe uses Image objects, a subclass of the File DataObject to store Images, so you should be able to:

$myImage = Image::get()->byID(5);

However, if you do your own MySQL insert queries, you're not using SilverStripe functionality, so I don't know how you've stored them...