Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Performance SS3

Go to End

14 Posts   3990 Views

tazzydemon

Community Member, 135 Posts

30 January 2013 at 11:31am

Edited: 30/01/2013 11:31am

Any tips, techniques or other data for 3.1 config in order to get a speed-up?

Julian

nicky

Community Member, 1 Post

31 January 2013 at 8:46am

So the problem-solving long-waited v3.1 will be 25% slower than current version!?

Would like to use your CMS, but this scares me. I've also checked a lot of the sites in Showcase section and this one too (these forums), they all seem to load slower than average sites/forums.

Please optimize the next version, no need for other changes/features.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

31 January 2013 at 2:11pm

Edited: 01/02/2013 2:33pm

tazzydemon make sure you're running an opcode cache or memcache or something to maximize performance. Using caching you can get SS down to about ~200ms to render a page.

I may have been wrong about performance fixes, I'm running on master which will actually be 3.2.. Not sure where 3.1 performance wise is. Might do a profile this evening.

Specific fix is making the config system merging logic simpler but this was not going to be completely backwards compatible as it involved making some static configuration immutable.

tazzydemon

Community Member, 135 Posts

1 February 2013 at 9:42am

Willr,

I do run APC as standard but its often a mess to get it right if you have a modest cloud instance and are trying to save memory. I have a few dozen 2.4+ sites running plus a couple of new 3.1 (will change to master). I also (god forbid) have some Joomla sites too as the clients demand them. They can be so hungry it's not true.

Perhaps I will have to get Rimu hosting to upgrade me. (Shameless plug there)!

So what's the change in 3.2 you are referring to - oh and how do I get ImageMagick going, then I don't have to integrate coppermine or some other stupid gallery program so my clients can upload PDFs and get thumbnails!

kinglozzer

Community Member, 187 Posts

2 February 2013 at 12:13am

I'd like to reply again just to correct myself, this is NOT the case.

3.1 is in fact faster on other sites I've profiled, my issue was site-specific.

EML

Community Member, 2 Posts

6 February 2013 at 12:50pm

Tazzydemon,

This works for me:

if (!file_exists($outputPNG))
{
exec("/usr/bin/convert \"{$strPDF}[0]\" -colorspace RGB -geometry 160x240 \"$outputPNG\"");
}

Go to Top