Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Request URI Too Large When Linking DataObjects To Page

6 Posts   759 Views

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

15 November 2012 at 8:14am

I have a dataobject that I'm trying to link to a page, but it fails on certain pages that have a lot of content and custom fields with error 414 Request URI Too Large.

I can add new dataobjects but it's when I want to link an existing one to a page that the search fails.

When I look through Chrome's console, I see the request URL takes all the content/fields and puts in the url:

domain.com/admin/pages/edit/EditForm/field/DataObject/search?everyfieldwithcontenthere

So for small pages it works fine because the URL stays small, but if you have a content heavy page, this fails.

Is this a known bug or is there a work around?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

15 November 2012 at 10:00am

So all the fields have their content entered into the URL? That seems like a bug to me, especially if there's a 414 error.

Which component are you using to search getting the failing request?

Sean

Liam

15 November 2012 at 12:48pm

Edited: 15/11/2012 12:50pm

I did a search and it happens to this person too http://www.silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/20622#post316051

I'm using gridfield with a many_many relationship.

Here is the screenshot of console

http://shiftideas.com/uploads/screen_shot_2012-11-14_at_6.43.49_pm_7fcd.png

This happens when I try searching existing dataobjects to link to the page.

I am using a multilingual module, so you'll see translation fields there, but it happens with regular dataobjects too, so it's not that module.

Liam

20 November 2012 at 8:34am

Should I open a ticket for this? I don't know enough about the framework but it seems like this is done on purpose, but fails if you have large content. I'm not the only one getting this.

Digital-Punk.co.uk

Community Member, 51 Posts

8 April 2013 at 3:16am

Hi mate, did you found a solution for this issue?

Liam

8 April 2013 at 3:21am

No, I just left it out for the time being as the site I was working on didn't absolutely need it. I was just waiting for a fix.