Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SilverStripe v3.0.x is too slow

Go to End

8 Posts   2176 Views

LoneShooter

Community Member, 1 Post

18 December 2012 at 10:48pm

I migrated a site for my client from SS v2.4.5 to v3.0.3, but the site is tooo slow on the same hardware (dedicated hosting). The new version is slower 3-6x dependent on page type. For example, when a page with "Page" page type is loaded it's 3x slower (there are 10 pages with "Page" page type) and when a page of "BlogPost" page type is loaded it's 6x slower (there are around 300 pages of "BlogPost" page type).

Consider that there are not any modules installed (except Translatable in v3) and no additional logic was added. Also, there are not any complex query, only the core logic for displaying pages and page holders.

The website is bilingual and the only difference is that Translatable is now installed as a module and not part of core SS installation.

Have you experienced similar issues with SS v3.0.x?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

19 December 2012 at 11:08am

Hi there,

Have you tried profiling any of the requests to see where the slowness is coming from?

There's xdebug and xhprof for PHP that might be useful for tracing.

Thanks,
Sean

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

20 December 2012 at 8:16pm

I upgraded from 3.0 branch to dev-master and got a huge performance improvement (same hardware, same app).

Guy Van Bael

Community Member, 61 Posts

22 December 2012 at 2:24am

Hi,

We have already 4 SS303 sites in production en 3 out of 4 clients complain about performance issues. On our hostingpackage memorylimit is already set to 128MB en gzip compression is on. Sites have all custom themes (mostly based on html5 boilerplate or twitter bootstrap).

@willr... wat version caused yur performance improvement. Is it 3.1.0

Guy Van Bael

Community Member, 61 Posts

18 January 2013 at 8:43pm

Hi,

I tested one of our 3.0.3 sites with the latest 3.1 from githum, but very little improvement on the page load times.
In general all of our 2.4 websites load a lot faster then the pages generated from SS3. Never had any performance complaints, but since we use SS3 in production, most of the clients complain about slow loading pages.

I hope a solution is on the way... anyone ideas?

guy

Drömbolaget

Community Member, 3 Posts

27 February 2013 at 12:27am

Can only conqur with previous users. We've seen page load times go from 0.6 secs to 2.5 secs on the same hardware.

Caching <% control menu(1) %> in the template gives about 0.1 sec lower load time, seems too much for a menu that outputs the title of five pages.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

28 February 2013 at 9:06pm

kinglozzer

Community Member, 187 Posts

1 March 2013 at 1:32am

Edited: 01/03/2013 1:33am

Just ran some profiling on that (incomplete) patch, it's definitely faster. The 3.1 betas are already faster than 3.0.x anyway so we should see some real boosts in performance when moving from 3.0.x > 3.1.x.

Some averages from one of our sites in development. No changes between runs, no caching yet:

90,000 function calls
420,000 microsecs display run inc. wall time
16,000,000 bytes display run inc. memuse

3.1b2 w/ config patch
62,000 function calls
300,000 microsecs display run inc. wall time
15,300,000 bytes display run inc. memuse