Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Confused between Joomla and Silverstripe?!

2 Posts   461 Views

Lemonie

Community Member, 70 Posts

15 January 2013 at 4:59am

I have been using Silverstripe for almost 12 months now but after a brief foray into Joomla recently I see I have not been using it properly. I currently do everything via the WYSIWYG editor and moving everything manually when it needs to move to another area.

In Joomla, I write an article, assign it to category and I can change that category. Where on earth is that function on here as I haven't found it. I am a complete newbie to CMS and am not sure I have the know how to use Silverstripe.

Is silverstripe on a par with Joomla with regards to skill levels or is Silverstripe just for serious developers?

Bigfork

Community Member, 22 Posts

15 January 2013 at 6:31am

It sounds like you're doing two different things with two different CMS's. If you fired up a third CMS you'd probably find it was different again.

To have articles in Silverstripe with the functionality you describe in Joomla you would create a new page type or dataobject with fields such as category so that content could be organised in this manner.

Out of the box, Joomla probably offers more options and has a load of modules that are easily installed. Silverstripe, on the other hand, has a greater learning curve but is much nicer (IMO) to develop for when it comes to customising the CMS.