Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Move the assets path

Go to End

5 Posts   1973 Views

Dave L

Community Member, 60 Posts

6 February 2013 at 4:33pm

Edited: 06/02/2013 4:33pm

Hi,

Does SS 2.4 or 3 have the ability to move the assets path outside the root? Microsoft deployment using Web Deploy/WebMatrix always shows site differences due to assets and this results in:

- having to manually uncheck all assets/ files and folders every time I do a deploy
- the risk of updating production assets by mistake
- the inability to use the "delete remote files" option to clean deleted code because it will also remove assets

Thanks!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 February 2013 at 3:23pm

You can always make assets/ a symlink or a mount to another drive.

Room9

Community Member, 19 Posts

11 February 2013 at 11:25am

Thanks Will. This is on Windows using Web Deploy. I managed to get the folder outside of root using "mklink /D" command. As far as Web Deploy is concerned though it's still a folder and will delete it but I've managed to get around that by using -skip option with msdeploy.exe.

I've now got TeamCity doing automated checkouts and deploy of my SilverStripe app to remote IIS server using MSBuild and Web Deploy. Could be handy information for anyone looking to automate Windows deploys. Any suggestions on where to briefly document that? I'll be extending it shortly to handle other pieces like backups, rollbacks and calling dev/build/flush.

Cheers

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 February 2013 at 11:47am

Edited: 11/02/2013 1:16pm

Could be a very handy document. My suggestion would be to write it up on doc.silverstripe.org (already docs for WebPlatform so perhaps we have a Web Deploy page). Makes sense to do it on doc.ss rather than a site like ssbits.com as it would be a popular choice for windows developers.

Contributing documention is straightforwardish (http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/trunk/misc/contributing/documentation). Simply fork the framework and write your page in Markdown.

Room9

Community Member, 19 Posts

11 February 2013 at 11:57am

Sweet. When I've pieced it all together I'll put something up. Cheers Will.