13 February 2013 at 2:26am
Hi all im new to ss and so far i have found it a pleasant experience, before i get too deep I have just two questions.
1. For such a powerful backend file processor that can create db field from simple files that are detected during dev/build, why is there no tool in the admin section for us to create these new php files and .ss files? just a thought but my text editor hasn't worked so hard in years.
2. These forums are i guess ok for very small community but i find its search results very poor when looking through 1,000s of posts. again just a thought.
14 February 2013 at 2:30am
(Last edited: 14 February 2013 2:30am),
1. I believe the reason this doesn't exist is because this shouldn't be done from the CMS. It's a Content Management System, not a class builder, or code editor. It's purpose is to manage content on your website. Check out the SilverSmith project which aims to speed up the development of class and .ss files ([url]http://www.leftandmain.com/silversmith-2/2012/08/28/silversmith-the-open-road-ahead/[/url]).
2. Yes, the forums are not great. There is a Google developers group and stack overflow is another place to ask questions. I believe the SS team has hopes of improving the forums some day but who knows when that will happen.
14 February 2013 at 10:30pm
1. To add to what IOTI said, SilverStripe is really geared up for developers to build everything, then hand over to content authors. If you start adding the ability to edit templates/PHP files, all hell would break loose when content authors got their hands on them.
2. The forums are quite bad, yes. The best place to ask questions is the IRC channel, the Google Group isn't for general questions (it's to discuss the development of SilverStripe as a whole). Also, read the docs at http://doc.silverstripe.org/ & for when you're more used to how to develop in Silverstripe, http://api.silverstripe.org/3.0/ is an invaluable tool.