Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Huge Duplicate URLs SEO problem impacting our sites

Go to End

3 Posts   1882 Views

lozhowlett

Community Member, 151 Posts

14 February 2013 at 11:46pm

Hi Everyone

We recently launched www.safari.co.uk on the SS3 framework, thinking this would be an improvement, however there are HUGE SEO PROBLEMS!

Duplicate URLs

framework/main.php?url=kenya
sapphire/main.php?url=kenya
/kenya
kenya/

Are all the same! Now we have excluded the top 2 with a robots.text, but the / is a problem. SS3 rewrites links to have a / at the end, thats fine, but why doesnt it rewrite non-slashes to slashes? This is causing instant drop in SERPs, overnight from launching the site. Duplication radar is going mental!

We have tried lots of htaccess rules, with no sucess...

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.safarilocal.co.uk/$1/ [R=301]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^blog/(.*)$
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
	RewriteRule .* framework/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

There doesnt seem to be something that will play nice with forms, admin and pages that rewrites everything to have a / at the end. We need to consider dataobjects as pages, form posts, etc in the htaccess.

Please help!

Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 February 2013 at 4:28pm

Not sure if this is fixed in 3.1 (I recall a discussion about it) but I have a patch for 2.4 which I used on production sites - http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/6700

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

16 February 2013 at 6:44pm

Also, have a look at putting in a rel=canonical link tag. Something like <link rel="canonical" href="$AbsoluteLink" /> should work for any Page.