Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How does 'search' function work?

Go to End

15 Posts   3485 Views

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

3 April 2013 at 7:52am

Edited: 03/04/2013 7:54am

On your site I saw google search adding #gsc.tab=0 to the end of your url. 'Googling' this made clear that lots of people have issues with this at the moment - especially today! Now I don't know if this was what first caused your problems, but it could be a bug where Google changed something that makes older installations stop working... Especially the fact that it worked for a bit and then stopped again makes me think this could be the case...

Maybe Google is going to fix this soon, you could wait it out... But I guess your ex collegue gave you the newest search-engine code to add to the Page template. A <div> is just a bit of HTML that a webdeveloper can easily add to the page template. So basically you need someone with access to your files, who knows what he/she's doing and have them add a <div></div> section and add the code to it.

I don't know if a paid upgrade is really part of the solution... Anyway, that is the most I can tell you at this moment, I'm afraid...

Elio

Community Member, 10 Posts

3 April 2013 at 8:41am

Thank you very much Martimiz, it clarified everything!

People recommend removing Google Search javascript from sidebar to fix this error (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/gsctab0-added-to-urls-google-custom-search) Do you know how to do it?

martimiz

3 April 2013 at 9:21am

This applies to the wordpress cms, that is different from SilverStripe...

In your case removing google search would make your search box no longer work, which is about the same as you have now. Whatever you do, if waiting it out won't work, it will involve someone adding something to or removing something from code, I'm afraid :(

Elio

3 April 2013 at 9:57am

Thank you Martimiz again. At least I know now what the problem is. I will wait for a couple of days (I asked Google support yesterday) and then if it does not work will think what to do next.

Elio

4 April 2013 at 10:26am

Ok, there is no more #gsc.tab=0 but search still is not working.

I got a question, are there individuals/companies that can help me to manage the website? I mean surely there will be other errors as time goes...Can this job can be done remotely?

martimiz

4 April 2013 at 9:21pm

I went to your site on my ipad, searched for 'tuition and got 127 results. So it seems to work - at least sometimes?

Sure, maintaining or developing a SilverStripe site can be done from across the globe if necessary, as long as the company you're working with has access to your hosting account, so you need a trustworthy company :) And you need people that know SilverStripe, not just any webdevelopment company.

Have a look at the 'Developer Network' section in the top menu - or even post a question on these forums.

Good luck, Martine

Elio

5 April 2013 at 3:33am

Edited: 05/04/2013 3:36am

Yes, I solved it yesterday through the third company. That's the reason it is working now.

According to developer, this was the problem: The issue was that Google has upgraded the CSE to v2. The new version does not accept the ?q= parameter any longer. It has to be ?search=.

According to Google (the privilege of having business account): 1. you have implemented GSS V2 results only code snippet on this page
2. <gcse:searchresults-only></gcse:searchresults-only> is missing
3. In GSS javascript you have added //<![CDATA[......//]]> which is not part of GSS javascript code.
4. change the query parameter name from search to q in GSS control panel->Setup->Basics->Get Code->Search results details section.

As always, thank you Martine!

Go to Top