Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Composer: Can we get some video/better guides?

Go to End

4 Posts   735 Views

Nobrainer Web

Community Member, 138 Posts

25 June 2013 at 6:45pm

Hi,

It seems to me that the hardcore devs thinks composer is the way to go for installing and updating Silverstripe. I would really like to understand how it works. But it's so geeky, that it really needs some more descriptive documentation - perhaps screenrecordings or so - for some of us to understand.

Perhaps it's time for someone who know how to use composer to create some videos, showing how to install the framework and CMS, and then vidoes showing how to add modules, updating and so on.

I hope someone will spend some time helping me and others to understand composer :o)

If you think the needed documentation is out there, please write a list of content that you would recommend me and others to read.

Dev team: please take into account, when you add complexity to Silverstripe - you are making new people less likely to choose Silverstripe.
SilverStripe is not only been used by hardcore PHP devs, but also frontenders like me, who are not comfortable with the console.

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

27 June 2013 at 4:01pm

Composer is optional so I don't believe it's a deterrent (not that I'm on the dev team), it's just a handy way of doing things if you're doing them all the time. Have you checked out the composer site for info on installing & usage? Composer

I went to a Melbourne SS meet up where they took us through it, which helped a lot. I think they filmed it although not sure if they ever released it.

Nobrainer Web

Community Member, 138 Posts

28 June 2013 at 8:52am

Yeah i know you don't have to use it, but i would love to.
Also when you start writing that it should be the prefered method - then info is needed.

Those vidoes would be nice, hope someone can share.

Thanks for your answer and i will try to read more on the composer site.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 July 2013 at 7:07pm

Yeah I found the whole install / composer process a little strange when I last setup a site so I made an easy bootstrap setup for linux / osx users

https://github.com/fullscreeninteractive/silverstripe-boilerplate.

Rather than mucking up with silverstripe-installer (which installs a bunch of crud) to setup a site I can just run that one script to get the composer outline.