Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Different routes to same controller

7 Posts   521 Views

Andre

Community Member, 126 Posts

27 September 2013 at 10:11pm

Hi there I'm trying to set up different routes with different parameters to different actions of the same controler.

The reason I#m trying this, is to achive a restfull api.

Here is my routes.yml, that doesn't seem to work:
<code>
---
Name: customroutes
After: framework/routes#coreroutes
---
Director:
rules:
'' : 'AppController'
'app//$Action/$ID/$OtherID' : 'AppController'
'api/mainsymptoms//$Short' : 'ApiController'
'api//$Action/$ID/$OtherID' : 'ApiController'
</code>
Normaly with the two api routes, I expect, to have one route for the mainsymptoms Actions with param('Short') and the standard fallsbacl to all other actions, but that doesn't seem to work.

So the question is, if and how I can achieve, to have different Parameters for different Actions of the same controller?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1105 Posts

28 September 2013 at 1:22am

Have you tried the other way around? That is: the general one first, the specific one last? Later might overrule earlier...

Andre

28 September 2013 at 3:02am

Yes I tried it, but then, the first one also matches for action mainsymptoms. So that instead of having $Short set in mainsymptoms action, I need to read from $ID.

Is it also possible, to define routes, that include encapsulated relations?

Something like the following:

/api/mainsymptoms/$ID/relatedymptoms/$RelatedID

martimiz

28 September 2013 at 4:46am

Out of interest I 'hacked' a default 3.1 site with the following settings (had no custom controller ready):

---
Name: customroutes
After: framework/routes#coreroutes
---
Director:
rules:
'test/something//$Short' : 'Page_Controller'
'test//$Action/$ID/$OtherID' : 'Page_Controller'

and added this to the Page_Controller::init() function:

foreach ($this->urlParams as $k => $v) echo "$k => $v <br>";

this is what I got:

mydomain/test/something/else:

Short => else

mydomain/test/nothing/else:

Action => nothing
ID => else
OtherID =>

(and a bunch of errors, but that's to be expected :) ) So that seems to be working as it should...

Andre

1 October 2013 at 7:16pm

Edited: 01/10/2013 7:16pm

The Problem is, that the controller doesn't seem to route to the correct Action.

Dumping $this->urlParams within the init method of my API Controller, I get the correct result:

array (size=1)
'Short' => string 'h' (length=1)

But as there seems no Action to be set, it always responses with a "Page not found" instead of opening the correct action.

So, how do I tell the Route, that on "test/something//$Short" something is the Action?

martimiz

1 October 2013 at 9:38pm

Ok... I guess if 'mainsymptoms' is not an actual page, the example won't work because it is fixed and there is no matching Action parameter in the rule.

Obviously I could be all wrong, but I'm guessing your reason for this construction is so that in the mainsymptoms() funtion you can use a param called 'Short' instead of 'ID', as it's nor really an ID? Technically there is nothing against using $ID and $OtherID...

Andre

2 October 2013 at 12:06am

You are right, technically there is nothing against $ID and $OtherID, it just seems a bit ugly and is not that nice. My Idea was more to create a restful api like I'm able to in RoR, but it seems, that currently Silverstripe doesn't support that. So I have to go with $ID and $OtherID (or whatever I will call them) throughout the whole controller.