Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Update field on state change of another field

4 Posts   439 Views

dylangrech92

Community Member, 17 Posts

12 October 2013 at 2:30am

I have two drop down fields in the admin and I want one's values to change corresponding to the selection in the other one. What can I do? I would like to avoid AJAX calls.

Here is some sample code so that you can have a basic idea:
$menus = DataObject::get( 'BassMenu' );
      if( $menus ) {
         $fields->addFieldToTab( 'Root.Content.Main',
               new DropdownField( 'BrowseMenuID', 'Select Browse Menu',
                              $menus->toDropDownMap( 'ID', 'Name' ), '', null, '' ),
                              'Content' );
      }

$subMenuCategories = DataObject::get( 'BassMenuItem', 'ParentMenuID = '.$this->BrowseMenu()->ID );
$fields->addFieldToTab( 'Root.Content.Main',
         new DropdownField( 'SubMenuID', 'Select under which sub-menu this page and sub-pages should show',
            $subMenuCategories->toDropDownMap( 'ID', 'Title' )
      ) );

zenmonkey

Community Member, 528 Posts

14 October 2013 at 6:03pm

Realisitcally if you want to avoid AJAX cales you'll have to wait for the user to save the object to trigger a refresh. The only other option is to use a GroupedDropdownField that you populate with all BassMenuItems grouped by BassMenu and use some javascript to hide ones that match the the one selected in the first dropdown

I think there is a module that does populate dropdowns based on other fields, but I can't find it

lx

Community Member, 83 Posts

14 October 2013 at 7:08pm

Edited: 14/10/2013 7:08pm

Maybe you can use this module.
http://www.leftandmain.com/silverstripe-screencasts/2013/01/28/display-logic-module-for-silverstripe-3/

I have never tried it myself , so i am not 100% sure if it is what you are looking for.

dylangrech92

Community Member, 17 Posts

14 October 2013 at 10:06pm

Thanks for the responses guys, Sorry for the late reply was out for the weekend.

lx I cannot use that module because we're not allowed to at work :/ and we use ss 2.4

So my only option is to use ajax :/ Well was kinda expected but thanks for the info