Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Translation workflow

Go to End

4 Posts   1036 Views

loctimize

Community Member, 2 Posts

30 November 2013 at 2:09am

Hi,
Does Siverstripe support translation of the website content out of the box? Or is there an add-on for that?
I need to find a way to export all translatable content to XML or XLS/X in order to translate it with professional translation software.
After translation the translation need to be imported back into the CMS.

Any suggestions or directions I could follow?

Many thanks,
Daniel

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

4 December 2013 at 12:19am

Edited: 04/12/2013 12:22am

Out of the box, SilverStripe doesn't provide a system to export webcontent. Maybe there is a module around that does just that.

Otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to do a MySQL query to get the fields you want (first of all: Content) from either SiteTree or SiteTree_Live (for a given locale) and export that to csv from your phpMyAdmin or whatever tool you are using...

Importing it back in would depend on how your website is constructed - are you using translatable or some other multilingual module or will it be a new site?

Martine

loctimize

Community Member, 2 Posts

6 December 2013 at 1:29am

Hi Martine,
Thank you for your answer! Going via export/import via MySQL usually has some drawbacks such as embedded tags in the export format or knowing how localization is handled in the tables in order to import the translations correctly without overwriting the source language content. Do you know where I can find information how SilverStripe stores multilingual data in the database tables?
As for the SilverStripe website I was asking for I don't know how it is constructed or whether it uses any additional module.
I think it's best to install the software and play around with it then...

Thanks again!
Daniel

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

6 December 2013 at 8:45am

If you're new to SilverStripe, it is definitely best to play around with a local version. Do check out the version of your site though. There's a big difference betwee silverstripe 2.4.x and 3.0.x and 3.1.x is somewhat different again. Check out the docs:

http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/

Btw: If you have a multilingual site already, chances are you are using the Translatable module. If so, theree should be a a directory 'translatable' in the root of your site.