Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

From Drupal to SilverStripe development

Go to End

3 Posts   2141 Views

Bimble

Community Member, 16 Posts

18 December 2013 at 2:40pm

I'm a long time fan of Drupal and created some very complex applications in it.

However, in my current venture I want to use a CMS for the front of end of a enterprise software product, and Drupal's GPL license means that I cant bundle the software without giving away the farm. So despite my love and expertise in Drupal, its goodbye GPL and hello SS's BSD license.

Im interested in anyone with any experience of Drupal 7 module development and SilverStripe. How does low level module development compare between the two systems?

Im interested the SS equivalent of Drupal 7:

1) Entities
2) Hooks
3) Views module
4) WebServices Interface
5) Javascript. Ajax and json callbacks

I wont be doing any content creation in the sense of a standard website, but presenting large data structures called from non MySQL databases inside Flot charting.

The application Im creating wont have many simultaneous users, but it will require some pretty large MySQL tables and entities, that I need to be able to manipulate.

In particular Views in Drupal provides a lot of functionality that can be called with developer API which I need in this project, does SS have equivalent?

Any other tips or suggestions before I start digging into tutorials?

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

18 December 2013 at 3:00pm

Hmm haven't taken to Drupal myself. Have found the hooks and various patterns messy to work with.
But after reading it won't be a standard site and you're dealing with large data structures.... I wouldn't use Drupal or SilverStripe for a system like that. Firstly nosql support will be limited. Secondly and active recored pattern is hellishly slow when dealing with volume. The performance sacrifice is a reasonable trade off for speed of development with small - medium sized websites.

I would check out lithium for good looking php framework with nosql support http://lithify.me/

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 December 2013 at 8:03pm

In comparsion to Drupal

1: Entities - SS has a cleaner implementation model using DataObjects. A tutorial to get started with is http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/tutorials/5-dataobject-relationship-management. DataObjects create your models, and you're free to developer as many controllers / admin interfaces for those entities as you want

2: Hooks - In 3.0 several ways to do hooks now. The most common use case is DataExtension (http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/reference/dataextension). You'll use the use of $this->extend() throughout the core to allow modules to alter one another. You can also use the new Injector API to allow dependancies to be injected at runtime.

The big change you'll come across is that the tools for SilverStripe are not in the CMS. For things like the views / blocks in Drupal you'll have little CMS control, you'll need to define it yourself.