Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Forum Problems

Go to End

8 Posts   2107 Views

HeartlandTech

Community Member, 17 Posts

6 March 2014 at 3:13am

There are a couple of issues I want to bring up . . . the first is the spammer problem that seems to be hitting right now. I know the mods are on them very quickly, and kudos for the response . . . but could we put something up to stop them from getting in so easily?

Next up - if a question doesn't get responded to can it be closed or hidden after a certain time frame no response has been made? There are questions that are many years old and they still pop up . . . if I search for a solution they come up and there is no answer. If I have this problem, the question is x years old and nobody replied . . . what would be in my mind to use this as a CMS system?

Just a few thoughts from a longtime Silverstripe user and fan.

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

6 March 2014 at 10:12am

Thanks for this, you are right.... the spam is a pain that we have been proactively putting blocks in place and cleaning out.

These particular spammers we found however are actually human spammers... so any automated checks can ultimately be worked around (we know because we put some in place which only slowed but not stopped the spammers) but we'll keep thinking of ways we can improve.

Appreciate the feedback.

HeartlandTech

7 March 2014 at 3:33am

And yet again today . . . . ugh..

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

7 March 2014 at 4:11am

@cam

Should we review the moderator list again?
There are several mods that might not be active anymore (i.e. not posted in 1 or 2 years) - maybe review the list and keeping those that take action?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

7 March 2014 at 4:15am

also I'm not a mod of payment gateways so I can't blast this post...

http://www.silverstripe.org/payments-and-payment-gateway-apis/show/18289?start=8#post340202#post340202

HeartlandTech

7 March 2014 at 4:56am

What about the ability to flag a user and when flagged it stops comments from going in until further review? Or what about looking at the length of time between posts vs. the length of time/quality of posting? Some of these posts are happening pretty rapid fire, so limiting them would help a lot.

jpalsu+

Community Member, 69 Posts

7 March 2014 at 7:00am

Hi HeartlandTech,

The problem is that the spammer changes his username :
Tantrick, then tantrick099, then tantrick111, or tantrick9999, etc. ..
Or doodee... or others names ...

As I suggested,
it is imperative to keep a new user
under surveillance and validation during X messages ...

So a user posting a message smelling spam can be quarantined ...

Good luck

jpalsu

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

7 March 2014 at 10:06am

jpalsu+ is correct, this is an ongoing issue we have put some action towards but does need use to continue with moderation.

If you would like to follow the conversation around this it is at: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/silverstripe-dev/qnIFobIM6Os

There are multi-layers of spam busting going on, but ultimately since they are humans they are able to beat this.