Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

multisites possible?

Go to End

107 Posts   35699 Views

josemv

Community Member, 4 Posts

6 January 2009 at 1:59pm

Hi,

I started to play right now with SilverStripe, going thru the tutorials and looks very promissing.

Does possible manage several websites, different domain names, from the same set of code? The idea is keep as simple as possible to maintain many sites. Those sites would have different contents and use different templates, if possible also could have different admin and users.

Thanks
Jose

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

6 January 2009 at 2:27pm

I have about 15 clients all running on the same SS codebase. Really easy to do...

-Somewhere above the web root create a silverstripe directory. I use /var/ss.

-In that directory, put sapphire, jsparty, and cms.

-Now, in your virtual host directory, just have the mysite folder and assets.

-Create symbolic links for sapphire, jsparty, and cms.

-Edit the .htaccess to include FollowSymLinks on (might want to check that spelling).

-Make sure the directives for your virtual host have an open_basedir restriction for /var/ss lifted.

Works great. Huge timesaver, and much, much cleaner. Especially if you're using source control. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

6 January 2009 at 4:32pm

The other thing that you might find useful is the subsites module:
http://www.silverstripe.org/subsites-module/

josemv

7 January 2009 at 12:22am

Hello,

I don't know yet the whole SilverStrip terminology to understand in detail UncleCheese suggestion.

Sam I've found before that post, but I was not sure if that its only for subdomains within one domain or could be used for several domains: abc.com, xyz.net, 123.org... Does possible?

Thanks to both
Jose

josemv

7 January 2009 at 12:50am

Hello,

I created a couple of subsites in the way: testSite and testSite2

I'm following instructions here:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:subsites

At this point it said...

Once you have created and saved your new subsite, go back to the Site Content section. In the top-right, there should be a dropdown listing the two subsites - “Main site” is the original site that you had before you installed the subsites module. Select your new subsite, and the site content tree will be updated. It should be empty at this stage.

But I don't see any dropdown list of subsites at any place in Site Content.

Thanks
Jose

By the way am working under Vista with WAMP.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

7 January 2009 at 3:48am

Edited: 07/01/2009 3:49am

The subsites module doesn't serve the purpose that you're looking for. It's designed to support different site views, but shared content and assets. You're talking about hosting many different unrelated sites.

If you have SSH access to your box, the way I mapped out for you is fairly easy. I can write out all the unix commands for you if you want.

ohh.. you're on windows.. hmm.. never mind. Well, when you get it off your local machine and up to a Linux box, you can do it.

josemv

7 January 2009 at 7:27am

Hi UncleCheese,

I'm doing testing on my laptop, but could move onto a linux server. Production server will be linux.

If you give a more detailed approach would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance
Jose

PerryM

Community Member, 7 Posts

20 January 2009 at 11:50am

Hi, I currently use Drupal and have 200 web sites using one installation of Drupal and one mySQL.

I use Site5 to host my sites.

It takes about 30 seconds to set up a new web site and there is never any problems with intermixing other web sites.

Can SS do this?

I don't speak Geek and would love a dumbed down version of how to do this on SS.

Thanks for any help,

Perry

Go to Top