Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

multisites possible?

Go to End

107 Posts   35707 Views

jorrie

Community Member, 40 Posts

29 March 2010 at 8:35am

Could we request support for this out of the box?

So I modify the core.php like this: ?

define('BASE_PATH', rtrim(dirname(dirname($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'])), DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR));
define('BASE_URL', rtrim(dirname(dirname($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'])), DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR));

what line numbers is that?

Could you attach your core.php ?

TotalNet

Community Member, 181 Posts

29 March 2010 at 11:09am

Edited: 29/03/2010 11:13am

Before we raise too many tickets etc, I'm using this technique extensively on development and production servers without having to change anything in core.php (As of SS v2.3.6). That's using both virtual servers and directories beneath a web root.

The only file I have had to change is image.php as described in this thread.

This has been used with several modules, there was one module where I had to change something obscure (ecommerce trunk I think) but that was just to support my deployment scripts and not its core function.

I'm not exactly sure what your issue is but have you tried looking at .htaccess? if you're running in subdirectories of the web root then check that RewriteBase is set correctly in each directory you are installing SS.

EDIT: Just seen you're using 2.4beta - that's why you're having issues so perhaps raising awareness of this is the right thing to do after all as losing this functionality would be a huge step backwards for me!

Hope that helps, if not I can post up my installation script.

Rich

jorrie

29 March 2010 at 11:22am

The problem with proposed working solution is you have to copy your theme directory to each servers vhost and then symlink the SS files like described.

I would like to have 1 /themes/ folder inside my SS vhost and then create all the themes for my sites below that.
Thinking about how this can be achieved. I think this feature should be in the SS core, or at least the core and dev team should allow us to make this possible by making the core files support this.

How about using the subsites module and having like site1.domain.com site2.domain.com the content will be seperated?
If so, can we link any domain.com to this site1.domain.com

Another thing, If you want REAL ENTERPRISE multisite, all sites from user X or admin should be listed in the page tree or there should be a dropdown box to switch between domains. Any thoughts on that? From what I understand the current solution is surfing to domain1.com/admin and domain2.com/admin to manage several sites.. also you cannot share resources like images etc with this method (right?)

If typo3 can do it this should be possible with SS as well.

TotalNet

29 March 2010 at 11:29am

Are you asking about the Multisites module? That's different to the topic here where we are installing several instances of the CMS sharing a common source directory using symbolic links to avoid having several copies of the core code.

jorrie

29 March 2010 at 11:40am

I understand im trying to get more multisite like this:

# 1 core multiple sites
# 1 location to store all templates /themes/site1/ themes/site2
# Have User X assigned to domain1.com and domain2.com they Would see there domains from within the admin after logged in or they could have a html dropdown with the domains they own and select the correct one to edit
# Or maybe all domains user X owns appear in the page_tree under a placeholder domain1.com, domain2.com
# It would be possible to share , images and resources between all sites owned and assigned to user X

TotalNet

29 March 2010 at 11:50am

Then I think you need the Subsites module
It does pretty much everything you want. You might want to install a new CMS for each user though as assets are shared between all subsites.
There's nothing stopping you having a common "themes" directory and symlink to that if you do install multiple CMSs.

Cheers,

Rich

jorrie

29 March 2010 at 12:01pm

Okay Great,

I have several marketing sites for my web 2.0 projects, so its fine I can share the content of those between everything.
That saves me from uploading multiple images of the same

Although then I would need another CMS install with db for clients *where I do not want content to be shared * not that great solution either.
OR I could symlink that as described and disable the subsite module for the clients, it still keeps tricky.

Indeed you could symlink all templates to 1 central location, totally missed that ;)

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

30 March 2010 at 3:34am

Core.php line is 119, or just search for BASE_PATH.

Go to Top