Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Can silverstripe work on an article model?

6 Posts   1093 Views

samadeus

Community Member, 27 Posts

13 January 2009 at 6:02am

My site requires one page to be on a article model, meaning that that page will show items in a row in one page . can that be achieved here?

Many thanks.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

13 January 2009 at 6:56am

Are the articles their own pages? Just create an ArcicleHolder page type and an Article page type.

class ArticleHolder extends Page
{
static $allowed_children = array ('Arcicle');
}

and on your template:

<ul>
<% control Children %>
<li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title article">$Title</a></li>
<% end_control %>
</ul>

samadeus

13 January 2009 at 12:16pm

UncleCheese,

Thanks for your replay.

Yes, the articles will be each in another page, but i want them to be shown in head page of the category, and like it is right now that each page is shown on the side bar.

I don't have much aknowledg in programing, so can you be kind and tell me how it's been done? should i paste your code on a notepad and upload it the root folder? and about the template code, on what page exactly should i paste this?

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

13 January 2009 at 1:16pm

Hi samadeus

I would reccomend doing the tutorials, they give you a great introduction to Silverstripe and also happen to contain the instructions for what you want to do :)

samadeus

13 January 2009 at 4:20pm

Hi aram

I did went through the tutorials and i couldn't find any thing that describes for newbies like me how to do that. maybe i have missed that paragraph, could you point to it maybe?

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

13 January 2009 at 10:10pm

Tutorial 2 goes through the process of making an article section with ArticleHolder to show all the articles in that section. It also shows how to create a 'latest articles' section on the home page.

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:2-extending-a-basic-site