EDIT: I figured out what was wrong though now I cannot remember what it was. I just wanted everyone to ignore this post.
I have a site that is working perfectly on the live server. It used to work fine on our staging server. I was asked to make a change to the site so I downloaded the entire live site to the staging server and exported the database from live to staging as well. The site works fine on the staging site but there are things broken in the CMS. For example I cannot create any new pages. I click on my News landing page and press the create button and select my News page and press the go button. Nothing appears to happen. If I look at the console using firebug I see an error.
ERROR [User Error]: Couldn't run query:
INSERT INTO "SiteTree" ("Created") VALUES (NOW())
Duplicate entry '0' for key 1
IN POST /admin/AddPageOptionsForm
Another thing that doesn't work on the staging server is saving pages. If I press the save and publish button an error appears where it usually tells that the saving was successfull. The error is "Error Saving Content" The content is saved to the draft site but not the published site. The Firebug console has another "500//There has been an error". In the post data there are two lines that appear to be listing errors.
"restricted-chars[Form_EditForm_URLSegment] URLs can only be made up of letters, digits and hyphens."
"restricted-messages[Form_EditForm_URLSegment] Another page is using that URL. URL must be unique for each page"
The url of the page I am trying to save does not have any restricted characters nor is the URL in use by any other page. It seems that the system thinks that I am trying to save a new page or something. But any page I try to edit has the same behavior.
I have checked my file system permissions and database permissions and they all seem to be correct. I am not sure if my .htaccess file is corrupted and giving my problems on my local server. But I also do not know how to rebuild it without reinstalling Silverstripe from scratch.
This site was working fine on the staging server while I was making it in the first place. I am using the trunk version of Silverstripe because I wanted to have the updated tinymce. Anyways since the live server works just fine in every way I would think that downloading it in its entirety would work on my local server as well.