Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Admin password not working

6 Posts   310 Views

jac_np

Community Member, 6 Posts

3 May 2014 at 10:38pm

I changed the email address for admin in the mysql member table.
Since that time, I cannot log in as admin. It keeps reporting that the credentials are not correct.
If I request a password reset, I get the link sent to me, enter my new password and I am logged in as admin.
If I logout and attempt to log in again with the new password, it still does not work.
For the meantime, I have added Security::setDefaultAdmin to my _config.php file and I can log in using that password.
Any ideas on what is not working, or how I can check?

Thanks,
John

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1105 Posts

4 May 2014 at 8:44pm

Just to make sure - did you actually change it in the Member table by hand or the intended way, by using the CMS? As this happened immediately after changing the e-mailaddress, you could try changing it to another e-mailaddress, or reenter the current one, by typing it by hand - not pasting it in.

I've had problems like this in the past where a hyphen was replaced by a special character version (pasting fronm Word :( )

jac_np

5 May 2014 at 11:05pm

I changed the email address directly in phpmyadmin, not via the CMS.
Since I had not changed it via the CMS, I thought if I reset the password via the CMS, then maybe it would right my wrong.
I will try restoring the record completely from a previous back up and see if that works,

jac_np

5 May 2014 at 11:41pm

Edited: 05/05/2014 11:42pm

Follow Up.

I restored the member record that I altered manually in phpmyadmin back to its original by restoring from a sql dump I had taken previously.
Once restored, I could log in correctly to CMS as admin without an issue.
Once in the CMS, I changed the admin email address (using the CMS) and logged out.
Once again I could not log in.
So meantime I have restored the original member record.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1105 Posts

6 May 2014 at 1:14am

Are you absolutely sure there are no special characters in the emailaddress - either when changing it in the CMS or entering it on login. You are not by any chance pasting it from, say, word or pdf?

Have you tried using a different emailaddress, say aa@bb.cc, just to test?

jac_np

7 May 2014 at 7:28pm

Solved.

Never occurred to me that SS has no concept of a separate username. The email address is the username, so changing the email address for admin, changes the username for admin. Doh!
So once changed, I can no longer login as admin.
Seems obvious now.