Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Admin password not working

Go to End

6 Posts   1670 Views

jac_np

Community Member, 6 Posts

3 May 2014 at 10:38pm

I changed the email address for admin in the mysql member table.
Since that time, I cannot log in as admin. It keeps reporting that the credentials are not correct.
If I request a password reset, I get the link sent to me, enter my new password and I am logged in as admin.
If I logout and attempt to log in again with the new password, it still does not work.
For the meantime, I have added Security::setDefaultAdmin to my _config.php file and I can log in using that password.
Any ideas on what is not working, or how I can check?

Thanks,
John

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

4 May 2014 at 8:44pm

Just to make sure - did you actually change it in the Member table by hand or the intended way, by using the CMS? As this happened immediately after changing the e-mailaddress, you could try changing it to another e-mailaddress, or reenter the current one, by typing it by hand - not pasting it in.

I've had problems like this in the past where a hyphen was replaced by a special character version (pasting fronm Word :( )

jac_np

5 May 2014 at 11:05pm

I changed the email address directly in phpmyadmin, not via the CMS.
Since I had not changed it via the CMS, I thought if I reset the password via the CMS, then maybe it would right my wrong.
I will try restoring the record completely from a previous back up and see if that works,

jac_np

5 May 2014 at 11:41pm

Edited: 05/05/2014 11:42pm

Follow Up.

I restored the member record that I altered manually in phpmyadmin back to its original by restoring from a sql dump I had taken previously.
Once restored, I could log in correctly to CMS as admin without an issue.
Once in the CMS, I changed the admin email address (using the CMS) and logged out.
Once again I could not log in.
So meantime I have restored the original member record.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

6 May 2014 at 1:14am

Are you absolutely sure there are no special characters in the emailaddress - either when changing it in the CMS or entering it on login. You are not by any chance pasting it from, say, word or pdf?

Have you tried using a different emailaddress, say aa@bb.cc, just to test?

jac_np

7 May 2014 at 7:28pm

Solved.

Never occurred to me that SS has no concept of a separate username. The email address is the username, so changing the email address for admin, changes the username for admin. Doh!
So once changed, I can no longer login as admin.
Seems obvious now.