Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

3 sort-a specific general question from a newbie

2 Posts   774 Views

tanner

Community Member, 1 Post

16 February 2009 at 3:33am

Hello,

I'm a graphic designer, used to building somewhat static websites in Dreamweaver. I have now been asked to become involved in a revamp of a client's website.

The site in question is pretty big and requires a CMS to look after membership details and allow easy editing of content by the client themselves.

Registered members will have access to non-public parts of the site and (thus) non-public files too. The members will have their own "home page" within that members-only section... listing contact details about that specific member.

Equally the site will need to be able to seamlessly connect to a 3rd party "portal" which will contain e-commerce facilities. The intention is that membership log-in details from the main site itself will be passed via "web services" to the portal... so that members do not need to sign-in again at the portal.

Does this sound like something SilverStripe can handle? And is SilverStripe simple enough for a designer to grasp the the more tech CMS stuff?

Cheers,
m.

tobych

Community Member, 97 Posts

19 February 2009 at 2:24pm

I'm kinda new to SilverStripe myself but have more experience than you so thought I'd try to help. What you've described sounds like something SilverStripe could handle, yes. I don't know how "seamlessly" the portal integration thingy would work, but then I don't really understand what that would entail. But SilverStripe has "web services" functionality as both client and server. With some PHP coding I imagine you could make it work.

As to how far you could go as a "designer", presumably with little or no PHP experience, I'd suggest not very far... unless you're prepared to dive in and learn a bit about PHP pretty quickly. Assuming that's not what you're envisaging, you'll need to hook up with a programmer to help you.

Toby