Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

How to obtain the current position in control loop

Go to End

11 Posts   3471 Views

Terminator4

Community Member, 81 Posts

23 February 2009 at 8:52pm

Hey guys,
I am trying to figure out a way to write some code for certain sapphire/forms that will be able to sort out ID clashes when using javascript. I would like to know how it can be determined if the field that is to be displayed is currently operating inside a <% control %> "template".

Is there a global variable that I can check which will notify me if I am in a control loop so that I can modify IDs in the code behind (php files) as I would like to append the control's position (ie 1,2,3,....) to the end of the attribute.

For exampe if I have a calendar called FromDate and this is in to be displayed in a control loop, the ID should rather be FormName_FromDate1, FormName_FromDate2, etc, etc

Thanks

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

23 February 2009 at 9:56pm

Edited: 23/02/2009 9:57pm

what you're looking for is $Pos (see http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=built-in-page-controls#dataobjectset_options)

anyway, i don't know what you're after exactly, but this reads as though it could also be accomplished using a class instead of multiple ids, then doing something like this (jquery):

$('.FormName_FromDate').eq(0) ...
$('.FormName_FromDate').eq(1) ...

etc.

(you may also use the jquery 'nth-child' selector, but it's much slower)

Terminator4

23 February 2009 at 10:14pm

Thanks - yes I have seen this before. This could work to a point but is there no way to rather do it in the actual PHP class by using a variable such as $Pos rather than in the template or will this also work in the code behinds?

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

28 February 2009 at 3:27am

sorry for delay
can't exaclty imagine what this might be good for...
could you post some example code?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

28 February 2009 at 3:40am

In a PHP class you can use iteratorPos on the object being looped through.

class MyObject extends DataObject
{
function NiceID()
{
return "SomeString_".$this->iteratorPos;
}
}

Terminator4

28 February 2009 at 4:27am

Sorry, this does not return anything in a Page_Controller function.
Reason I need this is to make iteration unique since they are not.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

28 February 2009 at 4:46am

Please post all of your relevant code.

Terminator4

28 February 2009 at 5:07am

Basically I have a function called MyFunc and in the template I want to be able to make a calendar unique on a form which is in a control. If a click the calendar or use some AJAX thingy it will not work. So this is what the code is:

<% control Event %>
$Top.CalendarForm
<% end_control %>

PS: I just posted an update to Sapphire on Trac. Hopefully the fix I just submitted will allow for this to work since I can't see any other way for it to work. My fix allows a dynamic parameter to be passed into a function via the template. So, you can have: $Top.CalendarForm($ID)

Go to Top