Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

XML Parsing Error

7 Posts   2160 Views

Spacemonkey

Community Member, 5 Posts

3 March 2009 at 3:16pm

I'll just installed SilverStripe and got this error on my main page

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 45, Column 75:               
<div id="SilverStripeNavigatorMessage" title='Note: this message won't be shown to your visitors'>Published Site</div>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

The offender is the ' in won't, I tried fixing it myself, but I couldn't find where this string was stored.

Any help would be great, this package looks really nice.

david_nash

Community Member, 55 Posts

3 March 2009 at 6:14pm

I've just tried a clean install of silverstripe and got the same problem.

I deleted the directory and tried the installation again using the same database. The second time it was fine.

Spacemonkey

3 March 2009 at 6:42pm

Which directory did you delete?

david_nash

3 March 2009 at 6:53pm

I'm using Ubuntu Linux so all files were are in /var/www/

First I installed in SilverStripe/

Then I deleted that and created a directory called ss/ and copied the files from the zip into there.

I already knew what files needed the server write permissions on so I'd changed them before going to ss/

And I think both times I saw a message flash up about PHP not being able to unlink mysite/_config.php (I'm not sure why it would do that as it just wrote that file).

let me know how you go.

Spacemonkey

3 March 2009 at 6:57pm

Edited: 03/03/2009 6:59pm

Found a solution here http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/3602

I just changed "won/'t" to "wont" on lines 247, 252 and 257 of sapphire/core/control/ContentController.php

david_nash

3 March 2009 at 7:09pm

Thanks!

I was working through the tutorial and realised that my changes weren't doing anything. I looked at mysite/_config.php and it had SSViewer::set_theme('blackcandy'); - I'm sure I set it to the empty template for the tutorial.

As soon as I changed the theme to 'tutorial' I got the XML error again.

I used the other workaround which I think is a bit easier, delete the very first line of themes/tutorial/templates/Page.ss - the one that says
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

hank

Community Member, 10 Posts

18 March 2009 at 4:13am

This fix helped. Thanks for posting it.