Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Model Admin - so many questions, so little documentation

Go to End

18 Posts   12275 Views

Design City

38 Posts

10 March 2009 at 4:06pm

Edited: 10/03/2009 4:07pm

Hi all,

Okay, so I'm currently working with Model Admin for the first time and finding resources for it a little thin on the ground. I have some questions I'm hoping can be answered by the community:

1. Is there a way to dynamically change the allowed actions for the ModelAdmin on a per-class basis? I'm assuming it is done with $allowed_actions, however I've not been able to actually accomplish this after trying what seems like every conceivable option.

2. When Importing, is it possible to import data in relation to a FileIFrameField? Ie, upload the files first, then import the DO with a relationship to the file?

3. When using the "Select result columns..." function, if you select none and try to search, you get an error as follows:

Warning: "array_fill() [function.array-fill]: Number of elements must be positive" at line 624 of F:\sitename\cms\code\ModelAdmin.php

Given that there is a physical option to select none of the columns to show, there should be a nicer error message (or even a popup stopping the search before it happens).

4. Is there a way to sort the search results in the TableListField or to have it appear on opening the page?

That should do for now... ;) Anyone got any advice?

- DesignCity

samtihen

Community Member, 3 Posts

19 March 2009 at 4:27pm

I'd like to put in a request for more information on how to automatically load an unconstrained search result when a ModelAdmin tab opens as well.

samtihen

Community Member, 3 Posts

19 March 2009 at 4:32pm

And, while I'm not sure this fits here exactly, I have a little example to share about how to create a many_many relationship that has additional metadata in Silverstripe as well.

In the example, we have Teachers and Students. A teacher can have multiple students, and a student can have multiple teachers. This would normal just be a many_many relationship. However, in this case, we have additional data we would like to store about the relationship - a grade. This no longer fits the Silverstripe model, so you have to make your own relationship table.

Example Code that works in ModelAdmin

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

23 March 2009 at 11:29pm

Bumping this thread...

1> Is there a way to automatically load a search result when the modeladmin is opened ?

2> How does sorting work in the ModelAdmin ?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

13 May 2009 at 11:19pm

Edited: 14/05/2009 12:43am

Reviving...

a. Seems that in version 2.3.2 beta $managed_objects now needs to be public.

b. The bug where you can fysically select 'none' for searchfields is not repaired in 2.3.2. Suggestion: [EDITED] use 'ID' as a default? Or refuse to search?

c. When adding/editing a record in the secundary tab (category in the product/category example) the complete cms is reloaded, thereby reverting the tabset to its default state (product) where the right screen still shows the category. - This means you have to be very alert when you want to add/edit again, or you end up editing the wrong dataobject...

d. I regularly get some weird effect where after edit/save a search will now show a wrongly formatted page: sometimes it's just the right screen, sometimes the tablefield is replaced by flat text... (FF3.1 XP). I guess this is some javascript deficiency in my browser, but thougt to mention anyway...

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 238 Posts

4 June 2009 at 5:13pm

I too would like to know how to show a default result set, rather than needing to press 'search'.

AdamJ

Community Member, 145 Posts

4 June 2009 at 5:15pm

Bump: I'd love to see some answers to some of these questions, especially changing the way that things work/display by default.

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

5 June 2009 at 9:15am

> 1. Is there a way to dynamically change the allowed actions for the ModelAdmin on a per-class basis? I'm assuming it is done with $allowed_actions

No there isn't. Whats the use case?

> 2. When Importing, is it possible to import data in relation to a FileIFrameField? Ie, upload the files first, then import the DO with a relationship to the file?

I'd suggest you put the files into /assets, run Filesystem::sync() to ensure they're all File objects in your database. Then note the file paths in your CSV data, and cross match them in a custom method in a subclassed CSVBulkLoader. You can assign custom loaders in ModelAdmin::$model_importers.

> 3. When using the "Select result columns..." function, if you select none and try to search, you get an error as follows:

True, fixed in trunk (r78425)

> Is there a way to sort the search results in the TableListField or to have it appear on opening the page?

It uses DataObject::$default_sort. You can overload ModelAdmin->getResultsTable() and ModelAdmin->getCustomQuery() for any custom sorting.

> I'd like to put in a request for more information on how to automatically load an unconstrained search result when a ModelAdmin tab opens as well.

http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/3693
Patches welcome :)

Go to Top