Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

To theme or not to theme...

3 Posts   641 Views

Rawbit

Community Member, 52 Posts

12 March 2009 at 2:20am

Edited: 12/03/2009 2:43am

... that is the question.

In my first SS project I kept all of the site View in MySite. However I notice the auto-install uses the themes folder in root. Should I be using this theme folder, and then applying my customizations in MySite/templates ? What are the advantages/disadvantages to this.
I'm interested in the communities general approach to this and what YOU use for your structure of templates & themes.

Is there a standard? Do you find it more organized or efficient to use the themes dir?

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

12 March 2009 at 6:06pm

If you're pretty sure you'll only need the one theme then there is no reason you can't keep it in mysite, but I prefer to use the themes dir for views and mysite for the code.

Basically, that just means that if I want to develop an alternative theme, it's really easy to have them co-living in the themes folder. When it comes time to switch them over, it's a single line in the config. It also means you can have multiple themes for different people (eg, different member groups, or user-selectable themes).

Rawbit

Community Member, 52 Posts

13 March 2009 at 1:59am

Ok thanks for the response - I sort of expected this.

I am interested though, in what you mention about "It also means you can have multiple themes for different people (eg, different member groups, or user-selectable themes).". Does Silver Stripe Naively support a shared codebase model for multiple clients? For example in root I could have mysite, myfriendSite, myotherFriendSite and all benefit from the same code. To make this work I suppose you would simply need to control the domain 301 inside .htaccess, does this sound right?