Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

To theme or not to theme...

Go to End

3 Posts   1256 Views

Rawbit

Community Member, 52 Posts

12 March 2009 at 2:20am

Edited: 12/03/2009 2:43am

... that is the question.

In my first SS project I kept all of the site View in MySite. However I notice the auto-install uses the themes folder in root. Should I be using this theme folder, and then applying my customizations in MySite/templates ? What are the advantages/disadvantages to this.
I'm interested in the communities general approach to this and what YOU use for your structure of templates & themes.

Is there a standard? Do you find it more organized or efficient to use the themes dir?

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

12 March 2009 at 6:06pm

If you're pretty sure you'll only need the one theme then there is no reason you can't keep it in mysite, but I prefer to use the themes dir for views and mysite for the code.

Basically, that just means that if I want to develop an alternative theme, it's really easy to have them co-living in the themes folder. When it comes time to switch them over, it's a single line in the config. It also means you can have multiple themes for different people (eg, different member groups, or user-selectable themes).

Rawbit

Community Member, 52 Posts

13 March 2009 at 1:59am

Ok thanks for the response - I sort of expected this.

I am interested though, in what you mention about "It also means you can have multiple themes for different people (eg, different member groups, or user-selectable themes).". Does Silver Stripe Naively support a shared codebase model for multiple clients? For example in root I could have mysite, myfriendSite, myotherFriendSite and all benefit from the same code. To make this work I suppose you would simply need to control the domain 301 inside .htaccess, does this sound right?