Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Favicon Not Updating

Go to End

5 Posts   1883 Views

Bagzli

Community Member, 71 Posts

26 May 2014 at 9:27am

I'm trying to get my favicon.ico to show up. The website is vvv-gaming.com.

I have ensured the I am using a properly formatted favicon.ico and I have tested it on the following server, southpawgaming.com It worked there without problems. On the new website, I have uploaded the favicon to the root folder of the website, I have cleared my cash and I have also did ?flush=1

I have downloaded the icon from southpawgaming and uploaded it to vvv-gaming.com, and then flushed the website, cleared my cash, flushed the website again and it is not updating. I have asked other who have never visited the website before to load the website and tell me what icon they get and they are still getting the silverstripe icon.

I have searched through all files but there is no favicon.ico for silverstripe anywhere. Does anyone know what is going on?

thomas.paulson

Community Member, 107 Posts

26 May 2014 at 5:53pm

fav icon is visible in my browser, but the fav icon is missing in the html

add the code in Page.ss template.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

Hope it might help.

Bagzli

Community Member, 71 Posts

26 May 2014 at 10:36pm

The favicon problem got fixed but I don't understand how. I have not changed the code and I have not uploaded a new image, it just all of a sudden started working. Is it possible this was a problem on server end, it was caching the old one?

ambient

Community Member, 130 Posts

27 May 2014 at 12:04am

I get this a lot when changing/adding favicons. It's definitely a caching issue, probably with the browser.

I've never been able to directly fix it but it always as you said sorts itself out.

My rule of thumb is as along as the favicon.ico is in the right directory and is being called using what Thomas said, <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" /> in the page.ss template, then it will work eventually :)

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

28 May 2014 at 11:44pm

I would agree with ambient. Browsers seem to quite aggressively cache favicons.

The only way I have found that seem to fix the issue is to navigate to the URL of the favicon (EG: http://www.yoursite.org/favicon.ico) then use CTRL + R (CMD + R on a mac).

That then forces the browser to update the favicon in its cache.

For some reason, CTRL + R doesn't work if you don't open the favicon directly using it's URL.

Hope that helps?

Mo