Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

How might I best allow CMS edited content to include a little bit of data from my database?

3 Posts   989 Views

tobych

Community Member, 97 Posts

20 March 2009 at 2:04pm

On this page:

[url]http://www.multicriteria-mapping.org/download-mc-mapper/[/url]

I have this text:

To start the process, click on _this link_ and save the file.

I want the URL behind _this link_, and perhaps a couple of other things on the page, to come from variables in my page type. Obviously I'd normally have the above text in a template. But there's a lot of text on this page, that gets edited using the CMS, and just this one bit of information that needs to come from the database (via a method DownloadLink on the page class, say).

Should I just suck it up and move some of the page into a template, or is there a way? I'm normally a purist, but...

Technically, it would be straightforward. I can overload whatever method I need on the page class, and replace the string as needed. But because this is a) probably not normal or purist and b) possibly controversial but c) maybe pragmatic, I was wondering what I might do.

Toby

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

20 March 2009 at 3:40pm

We've done this kind of thing in the past by creating a Content() method on relevant Page sub-class.

A little method with the relevant str_replace commands would do the trick. Here's a trivial example:

function Content() {
return srt_replace('$MyLink','the-link',$this->Content);
}

The Content() method is called by the '$Content' string in your templates, but crucially, it's not called when the page is being edited inside the CMS.

So - it seems like you mostly knew that this was possible but were wondering if it was acceptable code. I think the answer is "yes". :-)

tobych

Community Member, 97 Posts

21 March 2009 at 5:07am

Edited: 21/03/2009 5:08am

Sam, thanks. You're right: I knew it was possible, but was wondering how acceptable it was.

The following is not a question that needs answering. Just ponderances. I'm okay for now. Thanks.

So, I imagine others will find this thread useful. I also wonder whether something like this might become a standard feature of SilverStripe. Or a new module. Specifically, whether the CMS (the WYSIWYG editor, in particular) could cover this functionality, so editors could use a drop down menu or something to include "little bits of information" from the database like this. I'm sure other CMS/Frameworks have this sort of thing.

Maybe having something in the WYSIWYG editor unnecessary because it's so easy to do in PHP, and all users need to know is a little syntax, like $ThisLink or [[ThisLink]] or whatever. But of course, to help them get it right, if there's only a few specific variables they might include, the page class could perhaps have a method that provides the CMS with allowable snippets/variables it can use:

static $snippets = array('ThisLink');

function Snippet($snippetName) {
// assume the snippetName is "ThisLink" :-)
return "this is my snippet"
}

Or just rely on method names, as the .ss templates do.

If anyone likes this idea, I'm in interested in developing it. Meanwhile I'm gonna stop right here.

Toby