Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

silverstripe vs wordpress

Go to End

11 Posts   10557 Views

Printec

Community Member, 3 Posts

9 June 2014 at 8:47am

Greetings,

Can someone tell me what the advantages of silverstripe 3 over wordpress 3.9?

I did some googling but am still a bit mystified where this product fits into the market.

Regards
Glenn @ Printec

Pix

Community Member, 158 Posts

9 June 2014 at 6:54pm

Silverstripe is much more than a CMS, it includes a web application framework that will let you build basically anything you need. In fact, you don't even need to use the CMS, you can just use the framework to build web applications. When I first started using SS I had evaluated over 20 different CMS's and nothing came close to the flexibility and power that SS offered to build exactly what I needed while having a CMS associated with it. There are plenty of CMS's but customizing them is almost a second thought. Sure you can write plugins for Wordpress, but you are not doing it with the speed of a framework that is designed to build out the CMS.

Printec

10 June 2014 at 8:14am

Can you be more specific? How did it satisfy your unique business requirements for instance.

Yes, I understand wordpress is not really built on an MVC framework.

Do you have any case studies where silverstripe has saved you time or provided a feature more difficult to achieve with wordpress?

I also checked themeforest.net and there doesn't seem to be an abundant availability of silverstripe themes to choose from just yet.

I notice there are about 10 pages of themes on the silverstripe site but I am not sure if any of those come with commercial support which is probably quite important if we're reselling these to a customer.

I plan to download silverstripe myself and "road test" it when I get a chance. At this stage I'm just looking at the business case for it.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

11 June 2014 at 3:50am

Hi,

Simply put if you are a coder and you are looking to build a stable strong webbased application with is mainly custom code and you want a total decent MVC framework - silverstripe is IMHO the best.

However if you are not a coder and you want a free website built on free (or virtually free) addons and themes of which you are happy to use as is (i.e. security isn't top of your list) then go for wordpress.

Short, sarcastic maybe - but I hope it helps.

ecristen

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 June 2014 at 6:55pm

Hi All,

I have been struggling with the same question... What does SS stand out comparing to other CMS'es.

Joomla, WordPress and many more are blogging systems at first which made it to a CMS due to their popularity and world-wide acceptance. But ask yourself... Am I skilled enough to alter or develop (new) modules/themes when they don't meet my expectations? Do you want to have a CMS with lots of built in features you will never (or hardly ever) use? Then please go ahead with Joomla/WordPress. But...

If you are looking for a solid CMS that is lean and mean at the base but offers great extensibillity features?? Then take a thorough look at SS. The most important item for me t0 address is the fact that you are in control of all the features; allready existing or yet to be build.

I have built many sites in WordPress and Concrete5 and some of them I have rebuild in SS in just 40-50% of the time it took me to build them in their original CMS.

Good luck in choosing the right CMS!

Kind regards, Emil

Printec

13 June 2014 at 5:20pm

So are you saying (or implying) that SS is not really to be compared with Wordpress & Joomla but more with a modern MVC framework (such as Symfony, Ruby on Rails or Django/Python)?

Why did you dislike the other PHP MVC frameworks that are already out there? Also why did you decide not to go with a more "modern" language like Ruby or Python? Maybe a better question then might be why did you choose PHP?

Some people say that PHP is inherently insecure (or is insecure in its default setup configuration). Much of the Wordpress security issues stem from the "default" PHP web server configuration. How are you compensating for PHP's inherent security issues?

[BTW: I did finally get around to installing silverstripe on a test machine. The default theme is fairly bare bones. Might I suggest you at least have an image in the banner? ]

Devlin

Community Member, 344 Posts

13 June 2014 at 8:00pm

Edited: 13/06/2014 8:06pm

Why did you dislike the other PHP MVC frameworks that are already out there?

There is no dislike. It's simply a choice of what is best for business and my clients. In SilverStripe, you can prototype really fast... and at the same time have a consistent admin that you can teach your clients in a couple of minutes (even via telephone) and you can be sure there likely would be no further support tickets except request for additional features.

Maybe a better question then might be why did you choose PHP?

PHP is fast and reliable... and I like brackets.

How are you compensating for PHP's inherent security issues?

It’s as secure as any other web platform. Surely there are some sticking points in PHP that would be not be possible like this in other languages. But an unexperienced developer can and will write bad code regardless which language he chose.

Might I suggest you at least have an image in the banner?

What would be the purpose of that?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

14 June 2014 at 4:05am

So are you saying (or implying) that SS is not really to be compared with Wordpress & Joomla but more with a modern MVC framework (such as Symfony, Ruby on Rails or Django/Python)?

Yes, very much so.

Go to Top