Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe and Encoding

Go to End

alexanm

Community Member, 38 Posts

7 April 2009 at 9:40pm

Hello,

I've got a problem and have not found a solution for it in the Forums.

The Situation: I have a fresh installation of the latest stable Silverstripe 3.2.1 using the BlackCandy theme on IIS 7.

I open the start page in a browser and everything looks ok.
I open the Page.ss file and save it without any changes UTF-8 encoded. When I now have a look at the page again with IE, the Page is heavily distorted and looks very ugly. When I have a look at the sources of the generated page, and switch to hex view, I can see that there are some additional non printable chars in front of the file:   (As I'm not sure if they show up correctly in the forum, I'll also give you the hex keys: EF BB BF 20 EF BB BF). When I remove these characters and save the page as html and reopen it in the browser everything is ok. When I save the Page.ss file in ANSI/ASCII everything is ok again.
The same thing happens whenever I use the _t function (either in Page.php or Page.ss).

I had an earlier installation of SilverStripe where this problem did not occur, but suddenly I had this problem, and I don't know how to solve it.

Any ideas?

TIA
Markus Alexander