Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Blank Page of Death on Admin Page

Go to End

23 Posts   8084 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

10 April 2009 at 2:08pm

Try getting rid of the trailing commas in your arrays.

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

10 April 2009 at 3:50pm

@UncleCheese that wouldn't do anything :P This is PHP, not IE JavaScript

This looks like a memory problem - can you try increasing your memory limit to 64M? The most recent problems appear to be because the JavaScript minifier ran out of memory while parsing a file.

Alternatively, you can put "Requirements::set_combined_files_enabled(false);" in your_config.php file to disable file combining and reduce memory usage.

UncleCheese

11 April 2009 at 6:49am

@ajshort -- You'd be surprised. I always thought that syntax error was isolated to IE javascript, but my PHP configuration barfs on it all the time. The only time I've been able to get away with it is when I'm running Symfony. I think there must be a flag somewhere upstream in the php.ini that toggles a tolerance for the trailing commas.

That said, yes, boost your memory. All my sites run on 128M.

thebusymind

Community Member, 7 Posts

11 April 2009 at 8:35am

I deleted the Commas, and added the line of code and now the admin page works!! Thanks guys!!

How do I boost the memory? I'm running on a host server through 3iX. It uses cPanel X.

UncleCheese

11 April 2009 at 8:39am

I usually get away with "ini_set('memory_limit','128M');" in my _config.php.

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

14 April 2009 at 4:30am

Did this get solved? I am having the same problem. I got no errors while installing the CMS, but when I navigate to http://www.mysite.com/admin, I get a BLANK page.

To make things even more interesting, all the tabs in the CMS EXCEPT for "Site Content" load fine, eg. http://www.mysite.com/admin/security/, http://www.mysite.com/admin/assets/, etc. But the Main tab is a blank page. Someone please help! I have to deploy this TODAY!

Thanks,
Garrett

UncleCheese

14 April 2009 at 4:41am

People,

You can't expect anyone to troubleshoot your problems if all you're reporting is a blank screen. You need to crank up your error reporting and get some tangible errors -- or check your error logs to see what's going on -- or set your config file to email errors with Debug::send_errors_to() -- or at least post a snippet of the code you suspect is the culprit.

A blank screen could be millions of different things, so please do your part and use your resource to find out the error rather than asking someone else to summon psychic powers. With a descriptive PHP, MySQL, or Apache error, we can not only figure out the problem, we can also figure it out quickly.

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

14 April 2009 at 4:46am

That's a totally fair comment! You're right. "Blank Page" is way too vague. I was just having a HECK of a time finding the PHP error log on this Unix box-- I am used to Windows-- and when I found it, it turned out to be a Memory issue indeed. Was set to 16M and I bumped it to 64 on php.ini. Thanks for your reply.

//Garrett