Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Place for global content?

Go to End

4 Posts   2121 Views

Rawbit

Community Member, 52 Posts

16 April 2009 at 1:24am

Edited: 16/04/2009 2:56am

I'm looking for a better way to allow the user to manage global content (for example a list of links at the footer of a website template that are the same throughout the website).

I'm still using workarounds and/or hacks to support this. The most effective approach I've found is to create a special page type, let's say 'FooterLinks', remove all of the tabs inside FooterLinks.php, and only allow them a DataObjectManager to control this list of links. I also hide it from menu and searches as well.

I've tried ModelAdmin but this is really lacking in object control (Drag n drop sorting etc) and has poor list-view. It just doesn't seem like a good fit.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

The main problem I see with the approach i'm using is that it well allow you to visit the page, i.e. www.example.com/footerlinks/ and it's also visible in www.example.com/sitemap.xml

Please advise!

Ranie

4 Posts

24 April 2011 at 10:01am

Ohh no reply :( :) This is exactly my problem... And has stopped me before using SS. But now I'm going to use it and need to find a way to

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

24 April 2011 at 12:35pm

@Ranie you can use the SiteConfig panel to add areas for global information - http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/reference/siteconfig

Not sure how well it supports DataObjectManager etc but for text information it's good.

Ranie

4 Posts

25 April 2011 at 9:23am

@Willr thanks man! This helps me with few of my problems. Going to check this out a little better. I see I have to go through the docs. Alot of stuff there now