Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

:( a definite Goodby to silverstripe

Go to End

8 Posts   4313 Views

activebiz

Community Member, 3 Posts

30 April 2009 at 2:32pm

sorry to say - I was so excited when I found silverstripe. Installed without problems, changed theme, no problems.
And then ah - the problem started. A simple entering of metatags [description and keywords only] produced immediatly the javascript Parse error.
Googled the problem, got tons of returns with others having such java problem [with differnet modules obviously].
Mine is not even a module - just the generic default home page so far.

Well, this was several hours ago - no solutions.
I can't spend many hours just to research a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.
So - if every instance give so many problems, why would I use such a cms.
I need sites to be up and live within 1 day - not many months from now.

Too bad, looks like decent code in the core - but everything else is quiet circumstantial.
I went for this cms because read several comments, how "active" the support/forum etc. is - well, it's active alright with desperate people trying to get solutions to bountyful problems they have.

Back to typo3 for me.

May in another year or 2 this cms will have adjusted to normal/faster implementation.
Beautiful Themes: well, if all you need is 2 columns - like every other millionst of blogs out there - then yes.

I create websites since 93 - and actually expected more from silverstripe than what it is.

rbquirke

Community Member, 70 Posts

30 April 2009 at 3:28pm

Hi activebiz

If you think:
- waiting for more than a few hours for someone to take the time to assist you with your problem is too long
- you can create a site within a day

Then I would tend to agree with you, maybe SilverStripe isn't suitable for your purposes.

Silverstripe is maturing and there are still growing pains, so if you aren't prepared to have a bit of patience, be able to solve your own problems from time to time and well don't expect to have everything handed to you on a plate, you will be disappointed.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

30 April 2009 at 9:12pm

To each his own, but I didn't encounter any of the problems you mentioned. I already created several Sites using SilverStripe and it was a pleasing experience.

Instead of complaining with a "definite Goodbye" post, you could also have filed a bug report for your issue here: http://open.silverstripe.org/
That would actually help to resolve the problem.

And to be nitpicking: JavaScript is not Java.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 April 2009 at 9:53pm

activebiz, if you need a answer fast you might like to try the IRC channel - during a large chuck of the day (usually 9am -> 9pm NZST) you will find at least 2 core developers plus a whole lot of community members hanging round for instant chat, rather then the forum - which is more useful for daily questions to a wider audience.

thomasee

Community Member, 2 Posts

9 August 2009 at 3:00am

i would tend to agree!

i managed to build my first silverstripe site. it ran, even though it was rife with errors. i researched and researched the forums, and couldnt really find a solution to many of them. extremely buggy.

silverstripe has so many good things said about it, yet in the actual implementation, it sucks horribly.

and so many complaints from its userbase go unanswered in the forums! is anybody paying attention at all? you go to the forums and ask a question, and youre lucky if you get an answer.

javascript parse errors, fatal memory errors, impossible to use unless youre a coder... silverstripe isnt for designers, its for coder geeks. and very patient ones at that.

i always hated wordpress, but after silverstripe pissed me off, i went back to it and found out that it does everything i wanted out of silverstripe and MORE!

a definite goodbye to silverstripe from me too.

bummzack

9 August 2009 at 5:01am

Funny that a person with a post-count of 1 would criticize the forum for not answering questions?
SilverStripe does take some time to learn. As every other CMS does. And it's not a magical piece of software that can do all things for you.

If you feel comfortable with wordpress and it satisfies your needs, nobody is stopping you. Use the right tool for the job
And to be honest: A CMS isn't a thing for designers (to use yes, but not to develop a site with). If you don't have a clue what's going on, you'll struggle sooner or later.

thomasee

Community Member, 2 Posts

9 August 2009 at 6:54am

Edited: 09/08/2009 7:05am

i begin to see why silverstripe's problems persist.

with people like banal who are more eager to fight people's criticisms of the cms than address pressing issues posted in the forums, or find solutions to the frightening bugs assailing this cms, we will be stuck with the difficulties we are facing for a while.

banal, go and answer some of the many ignored bug report posts on the forums, i think thats a better way to spend your time, than defending what is obviously a problematic cms.

even as i speak, silverstripe is overloading my host's php memory. and you expect me to smile and say, oh thats normal, thats what cms's are supposed to do?

if you must be a fanboy, be a useful one... :D

and my apologies to willr and the other USEFUL people in the silverstripe community. i acknowledge your effort.

bummzack

9 August 2009 at 8:21am

Nice.

I try to be as helpful as possible for the SilverStripe community. Sometimes I just loose my temper when I see people asking questions without even searching for an answer first. Or if they come with the attitude that somebody has to provide them with a complete code example, just because they are too lazy to come up with something themselves.

The worst thing are probably people who are accusing others of not being helpful, where the only thing they wrote in the forums are 2 rant-posts. I guess you didn't file a ticket for your issue either, let alone talk about a patch that would actually help to solve your (and others) problem.