Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Children pages to inherit the page type of parent?

6 Posts   1190 Views

Big Bang Creative

Community Member, 92 Posts

1 May 2009 at 10:18pm

Edited: 01/05/2009 10:19pm

How can I set the default page type of children pages to inherit the page type of the parent.

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

4 May 2009 at 9:47am

Edited: 04/05/2009 9:48am

Not sure if I follow what you are asking entirely, but it sounds like $default_parent and $default_child are what you are after.

http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=recipes:customising-the-hierarchy

Cheers
Aaron

Big Bang Creative

5 May 2009 at 8:05pm

What I want is if I have a Products page with sub pages i.e.

Products
> Product 1
> Product 2

I want "Product 1" and "Product 2" to inherit the page type of "Products" so that whenever I add in a new product it defaults to the correct page type rather than the "Page" type.

Howard

Community Member, 215 Posts

5 May 2009 at 8:29pm

You can include this in any page class and it will restrict the children allowed to whatever is in the array:

static $allowed_children = array('ProductPage');

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

5 May 2009 at 8:33pm

BBC, did you check the link I gave? The very first example shows how to do exactly what you want, using both mine and howard's suggestions in tandem.

Aaron

Big Bang Creative

5 May 2009 at 11:05pm

Thanks, I did look at the link but I was confused at first glance. Looking back I now have what I want, it was as you said.. the first part i.e.

static $allowed_children = array("BlogEntry");
static $default_child = "BlogEntry";