Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Problems with sending mail ,possible bug ?

6 Posts   1368 Views

Fuzz10

Community Member, 787 Posts

2 May 2009 at 2:01am

Hi,

We are having huge problems with one of your sites running on Silverstripe.

It seems SS intermittently screws up outgoing mail-headers.

I can't discover any regularity in the problem , but if I try to send out a mail from the website, +/- 3 out of 10 times it will mangle the mailheaders by replacing the mail-subject , to , cc and bcc values with the value I set for the "from" address.

This happens both in our site as well as in the newsletter module. Sending a newsletter to 1000 people , will result in around 200 to 300 people not receiving it.

Trying to find the problem :
- We checked our mail-logs, but the correct "TO" address never reached our mailserver. So it is not a delivery problem.
- We cannot find any logic behind SS's behaviour. It mangles different addresses on every run (tested that in our mailing-list).
- The intervals are completely random...

Here is a part of the list of outgoing mails that the newsletter produced. Wherever you see "news@ourdomain.com" , the mail never got send to the actual recipient and the subject,to and cc field were replaced by "news@ourdomain.com".

The body of the (personalized) mail was correct and had the correct values (recipients name , email-address etc. etc.).

To: news@ourdomain.com
To: xxx@gmail.com
To: xxxx@hotmail.com
To: xxx@live.nl
To: xxxx@g-vang.dk
To: xxxx@gmail.com
To: @hotmail.com

Can anyone confirm this odd behaviour ?

Fuzz10

2 May 2009 at 8:22pm

FYI : Got a bit further with this.

Yesterday, after posting to the forum , we transferred the site to a different server and the problems seem to have vanished.

There are 2 differences in the configuration :

1> X-Cache is disabled
2> PHP Version is 5.2.x instead of 5.1.6

I suspect PHP v5.1.6. was acting up (again). Next week , we'll try enabling x-Cache again to see what happens.

Isn't it a good idea to change the PHP 5.2.X recommendation into a requirement ? This is not the first time 5.1.6 has been giving me a hard time.

Fuzz10

15 May 2009 at 11:35pm

We have isolated the problem !

xCache seems to be the culprit. Switching it on generates very odd problems with silverstripe's mailing-system.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

16 May 2009 at 11:08am

Hmm good to know. If you could research what the cache has to do with the email / why the bug occurs then you might like to make a ticket for this on open.silverstripe.com

Fuzz10

19 May 2009 at 12:55am

Willr,

Well, it is very hard to pinpoint the origin of the bug.

For us , the easiest way to reproduce the problem with xCache is sending a newsletter with a couple of hundred recipients. We noticed that 2 to 3 out of 10 mails gets screwed up (mangles to / bcc / cc / subject fields). Switching off xCache and running the same job does not produce any problems.

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

15 January 2010 at 5:39am

Edited: 15/01/2010 5:40am

Chiming it that this was 100% affecting me also, and disabling xCache fixed the issue.

When sending 2 separate emails in the same execution, the second would have corrupted headers sending To, Cc, and From as the same email address. Oddly the first would go through correctly.

Configuration:
CentOS 5.1
php 5.2.11
apache 2.2.14
xcache 1.2.2

At first I thought it was whatever sendmail program I was using, so I tried 4 different ones all with the same result as well as many variations on the configs, -t, no -t, etc.

I wonder if this would be because the mail generating functions in Mailer are global and not wrapped in a class? Would this cause xcache to compile/store them some silly way that would cause corrupt header generation?

Also I opened a ticket: http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/4920