Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

self-closing tags error using xml template in IE

Go to End

4 Posts   2123 Views

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

5 May 2009 at 8:50pm

could anyone confirm the following bug before i create a ticket for it:

self-closing tags in an xml template will seem to be rewritten to regular tags, ending up in invalid markup. strangely enough, only reproducable in internet explorer. example code:

Page_Controller

function xmlTeasers() {
		return $this->renderWith('Hometeasers_xml');
	}

Hometeasers_xml.ss
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<home>
	<teaser>				
		<image src="mysite/_content/thumb_motionmeta.jpg" posx="300" posy="10" />
	</teaser>
</home>

when you render this in IE and view the source code, the slash of the self-closing tag 'image' is gone.
tried feeding the xml to flash and it threw an xml error ('image tag not closed')

i also tried 'ContenNegotiator::disable()', but doesn't seem to have any effect (2.3.1).

b0bro

Community Member, 38 Posts

16 September 2009 at 5:37pm

Did you find a solution to this, I have the same problem and its a massive pain in the backside!!!!!

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

17 September 2009 at 3:00am

Have you taken a look at the Convert::raw2xml() function? SS has a pretty robust XMLDataFormatter that will handle entire DataObjects, but I think you just need to pass your data through the Convert functions before doing ->customise($data)->renderWith(). If you are rendering in your template with the .XML call it will be properly escaped in my experience.

socks

Community Member, 191 Posts

12 October 2009 at 9:25am

Edited: 20/10/2009 1:59pm

I'm in the middle of doing a Google Map populated with locations entered into DataObjectManager...

I had the same issue, it would strip the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> and reformat <marker ..... /> to <marker ....>.

I added $this (taken from one of the google map modules):

function GMapXml() {		
	return DataObject::get('StoreLocation');
	return $this->customise('StoreLocation')->renderWith('GoogleMapXML');
	$this->getResponse()->addHeader('Content-Type', 'application/xml; charset="utf-8"');
}

With the addHeader, everything worked. In my case I didn't need to do anything with ContentNegotiator. Google didn't care whether it was <marker .../> or <marker ...></marker>.
EDIT: Google didn't care, but IE sure did. It didn't recognize <marker ../> as an object. I changed to <marker ...></marker> and IE stopped whining.

I think it would be more proper to use text/xml instead of application/xml, but I don't know that for sure. Also, I could never see the header change when viewing with FF plugin - Live HTTP Headers. It always said text/html.
EDIT: I read on another site that suggested that application/xml is preferred.