Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

self-closing tags error using xml template in IE


Reply

4 Posts   1676 Views

Avatar
schellmax

5 May 2009 at 8:50pm Community Member, 126 Posts

could anyone confirm the following bug before i create a ticket for it:

self-closing tags in an xml template will seem to be rewritten to regular tags, ending up in invalid markup. strangely enough, only reproducable in internet explorer. example code:

Page_Controller

   function xmlTeasers() {
      return $this->renderWith('Hometeasers_xml');
   }


Hometeasers_xml.ss

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<home>
   <teaser>            
      <image src="mysite/_content/thumb_motionmeta.jpg" posx="300" posy="10" />
   </teaser>
</home>


when you render this in IE and view the source code, the slash of the self-closing tag 'image' is gone.
tried feeding the xml to flash and it threw an xml error ('image tag not closed')

i also tried 'ContenNegotiator::disable()', but doesn't seem to have any effect (2.3.1).

Avatar
b0bro

16 September 2009 at 5:37pm Community Member, 38 Posts

Did you find a solution to this, I have the same problem and its a massive pain in the backside!!!!!

Avatar
dalesaurus

17 September 2009 at 3:00am Community Member, 283 Posts

Have you taken a look at the Convert::raw2xml() function? SS has a pretty robust XMLDataFormatter that will handle entire DataObjects, but I think you just need to pass your data through the Convert functions before doing ->customise($data)->renderWith(). If you are rendering in your template with the .XML call it will be properly escaped in my experience.

Avatar
socks

12 October 2009 at 9:25am (Last edited: 20 October 2009 1:59pm), Community Member, 190 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing a Google Map populated with locations entered into DataObjectManager...

I had the same issue, it would strip the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> and reformat <marker ..... /> to <marker ....>.

I added $this (taken from one of the google map modules):

function GMapXml() {      
   return DataObject::get('StoreLocation');
   return $this->customise('StoreLocation')->renderWith('GoogleMapXML');
   $this->getResponse()->addHeader('Content-Type', 'application/xml; charset="utf-8"');
}

With the addHeader, everything worked. In my case I didn't need to do anything with ContentNegotiator. Google didn't care whether it was <marker .../> or <marker ...></marker>.
EDIT: Google didn't care, but IE sure did. It didn't recognize <marker ../> as an object. I changed to <marker ...></marker> and IE stopped whining.

I think it would be more proper to use text/xml instead of application/xml, but I don't know that for sure. Also, I could never see the header change when viewing with FF plugin - Live HTTP Headers. It always said text/html.
EDIT: I read on another site that suggested that application/xml is preferred.