Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Extending the Meta Keyword Field word count

Go to End

17 Posts   8500 Views

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 May 2009 at 12:55pm

Ok well I see no issues with this so I have implemented it in http://open.silverstripe.com/changeset/77588.

This will not make the 2.3.2 release but it will be in 2.4. If you need it for your project you could just apply that change to your code.

bod

Community Member, 72 Posts

22 May 2009 at 7:32pm

Great, although you've marked the change on Meta Desc rather than Meta Keywords in the changeset but both would be a good move and I can follow your lead now. Cheers.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 May 2009 at 7:37pm

Well As keywords is only key 'words' you are not recommended to make paragraphs of text for it. 255 should be room for plenty of room for keywords.

bod

Community Member, 72 Posts

22 May 2009 at 7:47pm

Oh - okay, we must have had crossed wires then - as the thread title and previous posts were talking about meta keywords. Not to worry - still make the change for Desc for sure and I can always personalise my own copies of SS to extend the keyword field now you have posted the 'patch'.

Cheers!

gavin

Community Member, 13 Posts

23 May 2009 at 5:19am

I'd like to jump in and actually vouch for having the keywords field be a larger size as well. I'm not too up to speed on SEO, but our clients send us massive amounts of keywords to put in all the time. Having to explain to them it can't be larger than 255 characters (then having to explain to them this includes commas and spaces) will be difficult, especially since I don't have a good reason why there should be a 255 character limit in regards to SEO.

In any case, willr, I really appreciate your effort on this.

gavin

23 May 2009 at 5:22am

Just wanted to add, if you still feel we should keep the 255 character limit on the keywords, is it possible to add a maxlength property to the tag so text won't just get erased after saving? Our most recent client complained they spend quite a bit of time inputting keywords, only to have them be completely gone after they saved.

w1

Community Member, 21 Posts

9 June 2009 at 3:54pm

My 2c about this thread

Meta tag keywords have not been used by the major search engines since 2002, and are a waste of time adding them. To keep our clients happy we may add a few words, but that is only to stop the so called seo experts saying to our clients - "you don't have any keywords in your meta tags"

The reason that the search engines don't look at keywords is because they are so manipulative. Seo is about good site structure, page titles and content (and a 100 other things). Even meta description has no influence on seo - Descriptions are there for the search engine result pages to motivate people to visit your site - nothing else

If your clients insist on a thousand keywords ask them where they got that info from- 100% of the time they will tell you that they have been told it is "a good idea" - they will not have found such advice in any reputable webmaster guidelines or forums

cheers
Peter

gavin

9 June 2009 at 4:08pm

Peter,

You are right that the clients have either hired SEO "experts" or have read somewhere that keywords and descriptions are necessary. Could you provide some information on this from a reputable and well-known source that I can cite when I explain to clients the meta tags are unnecessary for the most part?

And to further your point, even meta descriptions are unnecessary if your content is structured correctly. Google always displays the actual content in its results, never the meta description.