Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Confusing Error Page Behavior

Go to End

micahsheets

Community Member, 165 Posts

8 May 2009 at 4:24am

I know that to get the 404 page not found error page working you have to change the urlsegment to "404". However it makes no sense to me why the system will auto generate an error page during a dev/build but you have to go in and change the page to make it work. Also once you change the urlsegment, another dev/build will auto generate another page-not-found page that I have to delete each and every time.

It seems to me that since the error page is auto generated at dev/build and often with templates that are unfinished as they are in the development stage, maybe a better way could be made.

At the end of a project when a site is going to go live I always have to open up the 404.html page in assets and manually fix tons of errors and issues. I would rather have a button or an action like ?generate404=1 that will make the error page when I am ready to make it.

Of course it is possible that I am missing something important here and the way it is being done may be better than my proposed way.