Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Problems with tutorial

4 Posts   936 Views

litlfrog

Community Member, 4 Posts

21 May 2009 at 2:58am

First, I'm unable to flush the cache. When I try to load http://localhost/admin/?flush=1/, I get an error will the following information. Line 120 appears in red.

[Notice] Undefined variable: _SESSION
GET /admin/?flush=1/
. . . . .
119       // Load the session into the controller
120       $session = new Session($_SESSION);
121       $result = Director::handleRequest($req, $session);
122       $session->inst_save();

Also, I don't seem to be able to create a new page type. I followed the instructions saying:
"Create a new file HomePage.php in mysite/code. Copy the following code into it: "

When I try to change the type of page in the CMS though, HomePage still doesn't appear. What am I missing here?

MartinPhone

Community Member, 57 Posts

22 May 2009 at 12:00am

Edited: 22/05/2009 12:01am

If you try it with another name - ie not homepage but something more weird like badgerface - I know I had similar problems when I tried making a new homepage type. Don't use underscores in your page name either though as that messed it up too.
<br >
<br >Does the /dev/build/ work with no errors?

litlfrog

Community Member, 4 Posts

24 May 2009 at 10:38am

That doesn't seem to change anything. I changed the file name, restarted Apache, but I still don't see a different page type. Not being able to know whether the cache is flushed is pretty annoying too--that seems like it should be a straightforward task, but I still get the same error.

I'd like to learn SilverStripe because a good friend of mine uses it for work. It's frustrating though, not being able to learn more because I can't create my own page type or flush the cache using the provided instructions. Am I missing something simple here?

PGiessler

Community Member, 47 Posts

25 May 2009 at 7:48pm

Hi litlfrog,

Are you sure, that your SilverStripe installation was successful?. Furthermore are you logged in as Administrator, if you want to flush the cache? Because the $_SESSION Variable is an array with your MemberID and other values. So if you aren't logged in as Administrator then you haven't a Session Variable, so SilverStripe shows you an error of undefinied variable.

Best regards,

Pascal