Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Preventing duplicate pages - /mypage and /mypage/

8 Posts   1868 Views

w1

Community Member, 21 Posts

5 June 2009 at 3:28pm

Edited: 08/06/2009 8:36am

www.mysite.com/mypage and www.mysite.com/mypage/

If you check your silverstripe site, you will find that most likely you can browse to either and they both will be seen

How can that be prevented - so just the /mypage/ works - it is becoming an a duplicated content with google. Webmaster tools tell us that each page has the same title - description etc, which is frowned upon and not good seo

Is there a solution to prevent possibility of www.mysite.com/mypage being viewed and producing a 404 error

cheers
Peter

w1

9 June 2009 at 3:16pm

Ok - no response

New question then

What sitemap.xml generator are people using? I may be able to resolve the issue by using a different generator
If someone from silverstripe could reply that would be good - each of the file names end with / in http://silverstripe.org/sitemap.xml

cheers
Peter

Mo

Community Member, 514 Posts

10 June 2009 at 3:05am

A properly generated sitemap should get rid of your issue.

What version of SIlverstripe are you using? There is a googlesitemap module available in the Silverstripe svn, and it is also bundled with 2.3.1.

Hope that helps,

Mo

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

10 June 2009 at 7:02pm

Regarding your original question.
You could either redirect URLs without trailing slash to the one with slash (put this in your .htaccess):

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
RewriteRule .* %{REQUEST_URI}/ [R=301,NC,L]

RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

.. or you could only accept URLs with a trailing slash (the following code only redirects URLs with a trailing slash to SilverStripe. All others are up to the webserver to handle and will usually result in a 404 error):

RewriteRule ^(.*/)?$ sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

Mo

Community Member, 514 Posts

10 June 2009 at 8:43pm

I don't know if redirecting to a 404 would be wise, someone may type your URL from memory, but forget the last slash. In that situation the user would get a page not found and not understand why.

Web Designer Perth

Community Member, 49 Posts

29 June 2009 at 3:20pm

Sitemap generator: http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

w1

29 June 2009 at 4:02pm

Thanks - that is what I was using. I have a solution from them - I will share as follows:

this worked:
In Do not parse URLs: I added
.*mypage$

so only indexes /mypage/ rather than both /mypage/ and /mypage

cheers
Peter

w1

29 June 2009 at 4:44pm

and we found out what the cause of the xml sitemap generating those duplicated pages.

The sitemap page (mysite/code/SiteMap.php) had been customised to produce some xml metadata for DigitalNZ to trawl content pages and was missing a trailing slash

Another SS lesson learned :-(

cheers
Peter