Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

ModelAdmin search customization

5 Posts   1829 Views

micahsheets

Community Member, 165 Posts

26 June 2009 at 11:08am

If I have a managed model that I want to restrict which of the DataObjects in the model can be searched for. For example I have a DataObject Student that has_one school so that some of the students have school A and some have school B. I want the ModelAdmin that is managing Students to only be able to search for students that are in School A and not School B. I would think that I could have a hidden field in the SearchForm that has the School A statically defined. I don't know how to accomplish. I want the search to work as if the person searching has put School A in the School search form but I don't actually want the person to see the form or be able to put anything in it.

I hope this makes sense.

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

10 July 2009 at 12:05pm

Edited: 10/07/2009 12:05pm

On the student dataobject there are a lot of parameters that might help to include. I'm not sure if it'll solve the issue but try adding

static $searchable_fields = array(
      'school '
   );

static $defaults = array(
"school " => 'A'
);

And then I think you'll need to over write the modeladmin search form with $this->fields->removeByName('school ');

I'm not that familiar with SilverStripe, let alone ModelAdmin, so this is guessing form what I've read so far

Nicolaas

Forum Moderator, 213 Posts

28 July 2010 at 8:22pm

I just tried to override SearchForm like this:

class MyAdmin extends ModelAdmin{

function SearchForm() {
      die("yyyyyy");
      $form = parent::SearchForm();
   }

}

But MyAdmin ran as normal. This seems very strange behaviour to me.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

29 July 2010 at 12:49am

Edited: 29/07/2010 12:54am

shouldn't that be in the overridden ModelAdmin_CollectionController instead of the ModelAdmin class Nicolaas?

I have overridden the form myself, but I am just clueless on how the SearchContext stuff works. I wish it were as simple as the regular site search as that allows you to play with a DataObjectSet to add/remove as you wish... but I have no idea how to get passed the...

$context = singleton($this->modelClass)->getDefaultSearchContext();

...part. is there someone that could shed some light on this please? I have check the documentation and read the source, but the lights haven't come on yet!

Barry

Nicolaas

Forum Moderator, 213 Posts

29 July 2010 at 12:54am

probably yes, because it sure did not work ....

But since then I have shifted my attention to DataObject::scaffoldSearchFields and this seems to be very useful.

Cheers

Nicolaas