Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Alternate title tag and meta descriptions for subsites.

Go to End

2 Posts   1355 Views

Moses

Community Member, 1 Post

8 October 2014 at 3:57pm

I'm currently creating meta descriptions and a little uncertain on the title tag field and which part of the description it effects in the SERPS.

My question is two fold:

1. All of my title tags display the page name followed by >> as indicated in the attached screenshot. Do I need to change the page name or just the "Title" under the 'metadata' drop down field in pages.

2. If I've got a subsite running, say for an Australian market, can I customize the meta description/title tag?

Does Silverstripe have an SEO module available similar to Yoast for Wordpress?

Attached Files
camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

8 October 2014 at 4:30pm

Edited: 08/10/2014 4:30pm

Hey Moses,

There are a couple of things to be aware of with meta title in SilverStripe. It is going to depend on how your theme templates are set up (talk to your developer about this).

1. Often themes are set up so that all you need to do is update the page title and the theme will auto generate a meta title in the format "Page Title >> Site Name" (with the site name being set in the Settings section of SilverStripe CMS.

2. Again depending on the theme setup, providing an explicit meta title in the meta dropdown section will actually override point 1 from above.
If you can understand a bit of cod then this line in our simple theme might make some sense https://github.com/silverstripe-themes/silverstripe-simple/blob/master/templates/Page.ss#L17 (Of course in your own theme this could be different).

Your subsite should be under a different domain? In that case... you can just provide different meta title/descriptions for each page in a subsite just like regular pages.

Not familiar with Yoast however I have come across this module relating to SEO stuff in SilverStripe https://github.com/hubertusanton/silverstripe-seo