Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Typing variables in the cms editor

3 Posts   1524 Views

heidgert

Community Member, 16 Posts

28 July 2009 at 5:17am

Edited: 28/07/2009 5:19am

Is there any way to allow an editor to type a variable name into the TinyMCE editor content field and have Silverstripe parsing it from a function in my page controller?

For example:

* I have a function called VersionNumber in my Page_Controller class which fetches a products name and version number from some location and returns it. I also have a function named ReleaseDate which (yes) fetches and returns the ReleaseDate.

* An editor types "The most recent release is $VersionNumber which was released $ReleaseDate".

I want editors to be able to use the $VersionNumber and $ReleaseDate throughout the entire site so avoid manually updating something like this on several locations.

Is this possible? I've tried a few different things but haven't managed (the string $VersionNumber is written out in plain text).

Howard

Community Member, 215 Posts

28 July 2009 at 3:13pm

Yea this isn't hard to do, have a look at [url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=recipes:customising-content-in-your-templates&s=paypal[/url]

heidgert

Community Member, 16 Posts

10 August 2009 at 1:04am

Yay! Works like a charm. I've been searching for this without realizing there was a recipe about this.

Thanks!